Ukraine, Russia Reach Ceasefire Agreement
The office of Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says he and Russian President Vladimir Putin have reached agreement on a ceasefire in eastern Ukraine.
The brief statement today gave no details and there was no immediate reaction from the Russia-backed separatists whom Ukrainian forces have been fighting since April.
Russian markets jumped on the news. The MICEX benchmark was 3 per cent higher while the ruble rose 1.2 per cent against the US dollar.
Putin's spokesman said earlier that the Russian president and Poroshenko had found in a recent discussion that they "largely share views" on ways out of the crisis.
Ukraine and the West have accused Russia of sending its troops and weapons to support pro-Russian insurgents who have been fighting government troops in eastern Ukraine since mid-April. Moscow has vehemently denied this charge.
Over the weekend, the European Union leaders agreed to prepare a new round of sanctions that could be enacted in a week, after NATO accused Russia of sending tanks and troops into southeastern Ukraine.
A NATO summit in Wales tomorrow is also expected to approve measures designed to counter Russia's aggressive actions in Ukraine.
US President Barack Obama arrived in Estonia this morning in a show of solidarity with NATO allies who fear they could be the next target of Russia's aggression.
Fighting in eastern Ukraine has killed nearly 2,600 people and forced over 340,000 to flee their homes, according to the UN.
FROM OUTLOOKforeign: interventionsAs in Libya, western interventions are about greed, power hunger and pompous rhetoric...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe conventional wisdom is that the British exit fmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESAt least eight people, including two children weremore from WIRES>>>
- Ahead of Diwali, Govt Approves 2 Per Cent Hike in DA
- Need to Have a Relook on the Minority Tag Given to Muslims: Giriraj Singh
- Pakistan Condemns 'Manhandling' Of Staffer, Says Espionage Charges False
- No Regulation of Media in a Democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Pak High Commission Staffer Asked to Leave India Within 48 Hrs
- SC Defers Hearing of Election Petition Against Sonia Gandhi
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Libya's Navy Says 90 Migrants Perished After Boat Fell Apart
- Ready to Sacrifice Myself for the Party: Amar Singh
- Neither Bua Nor Bhatija Can Improve Law and Order in UP: Amit Shah
- Pak Not to Attend Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster
- Twitter to Cut 9 Per Cent of Staff, Plots New Growth Strategy
- Ceasefire Violations, If Continues, Will Not Go Unpunished: Sharif Warns India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED