UGC Asks DU to Reinstate Ad Hoc Teachers to Meet Crisis
The University Grants Commission has asked the Delhi University to reinstate ad hoc teachers who fulfil the minimum eligibility criteria in order to meet the shortage of teachers in colleges under the university.
In a letter written by UGC Secretary Jaspal Singh Sandhu, all DU colleges have been directed to engage such temporary teachers who fulfil the minimum eligibility criteria and were employed in the last financial year with the university.
It has been brought to the notice of UGC that the colleges are facing a serious shortage of teachers, the letter said. According to a report by the HRD ministry, out of 1706 teaching posts in various colleges of University, 902 are lying vacant.
"In order to overcome this crisis, the colleges may re-engage those ad hoc teachers who fulfil the conditions of minimum eligibility as laid down by the UGC and were employed with the university during the last financial year," the letter said.
The crisis comes at a time when the new academic session has just started and the University is moving to the three-year undergraduate course from the FYUP, the UGC said.
The step to reinstate the ad hoc teachers has been taken so that the colleges can run smoothly in this new academic session, it said.
Against the sanctioned teaching posts of 16,692 in 39 central universities, 6,251 are lying vacant, which is close to 40 percent of total seats, HRD Minister Smriti Irani had informed the Parliament this week.
In Jawaharlal Nehru University, there are 286 teaching posts not being filled as of March 31 this year out of the total strength of 809.
Among all central varsities, out of 2316 posts for professors 1244 are vacant, of 4593 associate professor posts 2165 are vacant and of 9194 assistant professor posts 2769 are vacant besides 73 other vacancies, she said replying to a question.
- Congress Bastion Amethi Goes To Polls
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'You Want To Make Universities Laboratories For Separatist Experiments?' Naidu Asks Congress, Left
- Madras High Court Exempts Class Xth Non-Tamil Students From Writing Examination In Tamil
- Banned SIMI Chief And 10 Others Given Life Imprisonment In Sedition Case
- Airtel Removes Roaming Charges on Calls, Data
- Now, BJP MP Pratap Simha Compares Kargil Martyr's Daughter With Dawood Ibrahim
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events