Two Base Jumpers Killed in Separate Accidents in French Alps
Two base jumpers were killed in separate accidents in the French Alps today after parachuting off mountains in their wingsuits.
Their deaths bring to four the number of people killed taking part in the extreme sport in France since the beginning of August.
Police said the first victim, a 33-year-old Australian, died after jumping off the 2,600-metre Brevent peak in the Haute-Savoie.
Rescue workers said he was found "several hundred metres below in a wooded area" and probably died on impact.
Two hours later a French base jumper was killed after hitting a rock face on his descent from Mont Granier in the neighbouring Isere region of southeastern France.
The man, aged 52, and described as "extremely experienced", was found 200 metres below the ledge from which he had jumped.
"He managed get over the first rock face, but not the second," one of the rescuers said.
Investigations have been launched into both accidents.
On August 6, two base jumpers, one from Switzerland, the other from France, died in similar accidents in the Alps and French Pyrenees.
A base jump is defined as a leap off a fixed high point -- the name being an acronym for Building, Antenna, Span (such as bridges) and Earth (natural settings).
Unlike skydiving which involves leaping from an aircraft, base jumpers take off with a parachute from a fixed point, usually a cliff or a bridge.
The sport carries high risks. A Norwegian study published in 2007 concluded that base jumping is five to eight times more likely than skydiving to result in injury or death.
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- Akhilesh Yadav Scared Of Donkeys Of Gujarat, Says PM Modi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman