TRAI Seeks More Details From DoT Regarding Spectrum Auction
In order to give recommendations for spectrum auction, sectoral regulator Trai has sought more details from DoT regarding the quantum of spectrum which has been alloted to telcos in 900 MHz and 1800 Mhz bands and the amount which has been lying vacant in each service area.
Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) had on August 7 began the consultation process for the next round of auctions for spectrum held by mobile operators - Airtel, Vodafone, Idea and RCom - as some of their licences are set to expire in 2015-16.
The process will determine the reserve price of spectrum to be auctioned across 18 out of the 22 telecom service areas across the country for 900 Mhz and 1800 Mhz bands, used for providing mobile services based on GSM technology standard.
According to sources, Department of Telecom (DoT) has already provided the details to Trai about the quantum of available spectrum including the details of frequencies along with status of quantum of contiguous and non-contiguous spectrum in 900 MHz and 1800 Mhz bands.
DoT, however, said the quantum of spectrum to be put for auction and auction of spectrum in Tamil Nadu will be decided by the government separately.
Sources said Trai in a recent letter to DoT asked about the exact range range of frequencies in 900 MHz and 1800 MHz bands allotted to telecom service providers, government agencies and frequencies which are lying vacant in each service area.
Sources said Trai is of the view that if it know all the details about spectrum, it will be able to give more detailed recommendations on the reserve price.
The source, however, added that the Authority will give recommendations even if DoT did not provide it with the requisite details.
In December 2015, 4 licences of Bharti Airtel, 7 each of Idea Cellular and Reliance Telecom and 6 of Vodafone will complete their 20-year term and would require renewal.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10