Top Government Media Bureaucrats Shunted
The prinicipal director general of Media & Communication of the Press Information Bureau, Neelam Kapur, has been shifted to the directorate of field publicity, as per highly placed sources in government.
It is a clear case of demotion for her as she gets an additional secretary level post, whereas the one she was holding was a secretary level position.
As a UPA appointee, Kapur was perceived to be close to the previous government by the current dispensation.
Frank Noronha, a 1982-batch officer of the Indian Information Service, who was earlier the DG of Field Publicity, is being brought in to replace Kapur.
He has worked as Information Officer in various ministries and has served as Deputy Press Secretary in the Rashtrapati Bhavan during his long tenure.
Additional direcor general, Doordarshan, S.M. Khan, has been put on compulsory wait.
He is said to have been punished for being seen to be responsible for delaying the transmission of Mr Narendra Modi's interview to Doordarshan in the run-up to the Lok Sabha elections.
There had been a controversy over the editing of the interview and not telecasting it on prime time.
Archana Dutta, Director General (News) in All India Radio, has been given additional charge of DD (News) Doordarshan, the sources said.
(With inputs from PTI)
Postscript: As some of the tweets appended below indicate, Kapur had been in the line of fire of a vocal section of BJP-supporting Twitterati because of inviting Raheel Khursheed of Twitter India to address PIB as recently as August 5.
Per sources neelam Kapur was considered for the post of Head of Nehru Centre, London as an honourable exit formula but sushma objected— MediaWatcher (@India_MSM) August 8, 2014
- Major Who Tied Civilian To Army Jeep, Awarded
- Indian Cabbie Abused And Assaulted In Australia
- Rawal Wants Arundhati Roy Tied To Army Jeep Instead Of Stone-Pelters
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10