Top Government Media Bureaucrats Shunted
The prinicipal director general of Media & Communication of the Press Information Bureau, Neelam Kapur, has been shifted to the directorate of field publicity, as per highly placed sources in government.
It is a clear case of demotion for her as she gets an additional secretary level post, whereas the one she was holding was a secretary level position.
As a UPA appointee, Kapur was perceived to be close to the previous government by the current dispensation.
Frank Noronha, a 1982-batch officer of the Indian Information Service, who was earlier the DG of Field Publicity, is being brought in to replace Kapur.
He has worked as Information Officer in various ministries and has served as Deputy Press Secretary in the Rashtrapati Bhavan during his long tenure.
Additional direcor general, Doordarshan, S.M. Khan, has been put on compulsory wait.
He is said to have been punished for being seen to be responsible for delaying the transmission of Mr Narendra Modi's interview to Doordarshan in the run-up to the Lok Sabha elections.
There had been a controversy over the editing of the interview and not telecasting it on prime time.
Archana Dutta, Director General (News) in All India Radio, has been given additional charge of DD (News) Doordarshan, the sources said.
(With inputs from PTI)
Postscript: As some of the tweets appended below indicate, Kapur had been in the line of fire of a vocal section of BJP-supporting Twitterati because of inviting Raheel Khursheed of Twitter India to address PIB as recently as August 5.
Per sources neelam Kapur was considered for the post of Head of Nehru Centre, London as an honourable exit formula but sushma objected— MediaWatcher (@India_MSM) August 8, 2014
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Khalsa College Postpones Drama Event Till ABVP Drama Pacifies
- India Likely to Be Less Affected by Global Economic Shocks: IMF
- Ticket Collector Bites Off Senior Officer's Nose In A Fit Of Rage
- 60-Year-Old Poet Thrashed For Stopping DTC Bus Conductor From Urinating On Road
- 130 Bodies Of Fighters Beheaded By Rival Jihadists Found in Syria Mass Graves
- BMC Mayor Will Be From Our Party, BJP Used Deceitful Means to Destabilise Our Rule: Sena
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman