TNCC Raises Questions on Swamy Visiting Lanka
The Tamil Nadu Congress Committee President B S Gnanadesikan today asked the Centre to clarify in what capacity did BJP leader Subramanian Swamy visit Sri Lanka recently.
While welcoming dialogue with Sri Lanka to facilitate the post war rehabilitation and resettlement of Tamils there, the TNC chief wondered on what capacity the BJP leader had called on Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksha recently.
"The Central government must clarify. On what capacity did Subramanian Swamy go to Sri Lanka ? What is his status?" he said.
Gnanadesikan was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of birth anniversary celebrations of freedom fighter Sathyamurthi and Congress leader GK Moopanar at the party headquarters here.
Referring to the alleged arrest of five fishermen by Sri Lanka on "false" charges of possession of ganja, he said, when his party was in power at the Centre, such issues were taken up vigorously with the Rajapaksa regime and fishermen's release was facilitated.
"The NDA government should continue our work and get the innocent fishermen released," the chief said.
Last month, Chairman, BJP Committee for Strategic Action, Subramanian Swamy, during his visit to Sri Lanka, had said, "India would be far more supportive of Sri Lanka's position at the United Nations Human Rights Council than ever before."
It had led to criticism from certain quarters in Tamil Nadu.
- No Explanation, No Opportunity to Defend Myself, Says Mistry in an Explosive Mail to Board Members
- Modi-Key Talks: NZ Assures 'Constructive' Approach on NSG Bid
- Akhilesh Briefs Governor Ram Naik on Political Situation in UP
- Former Karnataka CM B.S. Yeddyurappa Acquitted of Corruption Charges
- Manipuri Student's Body Found in JNU Hostel Room
- Paul Beatty Becomes the First American to Win Booker Prize
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Police Registers Assault Case Against AAP MLA Amantullah Khan
- PM Asks Officials to Analyze World Bank Report Which Ranked India 130th
- Cabinet May Consider Advancing Budget to Feb 1
- UNESCO Approves Resolution on Jerusalem That Israel Says Denies Judaism's Ties to Temple Mount
- 26/11: India Not Responding to Pak Request to Send Witnesses, Says Prosecution
- Pak Lawmakers Slam Cricketers for Doing Push-Ups After Match Win Instead of Praying
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED