TNCC Raises Questions on Swamy Visiting Lanka
The Tamil Nadu Congress Committee President B S Gnanadesikan today asked the Centre to clarify in what capacity did BJP leader Subramanian Swamy visit Sri Lanka recently.
While welcoming dialogue with Sri Lanka to facilitate the post war rehabilitation and resettlement of Tamils there, the TNC chief wondered on what capacity the BJP leader had called on Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksha recently.
"The Central government must clarify. On what capacity did Subramanian Swamy go to Sri Lanka ? What is his status?" he said.
Gnanadesikan was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of birth anniversary celebrations of freedom fighter Sathyamurthi and Congress leader GK Moopanar at the party headquarters here.
Referring to the alleged arrest of five fishermen by Sri Lanka on "false" charges of possession of ganja, he said, when his party was in power at the Centre, such issues were taken up vigorously with the Rajapaksa regime and fishermen's release was facilitated.
"The NDA government should continue our work and get the innocent fishermen released," the chief said.
Last month, Chairman, BJP Committee for Strategic Action, Subramanian Swamy, during his visit to Sri Lanka, had said, "India would be far more supportive of Sri Lanka's position at the United Nations Human Rights Council than ever before."
It had led to criticism from certain quarters in Tamil Nadu.
- Congress Derails RS Proceedings Over Private Member Bill on AP
- Supreme Court Allows Abortion of 24-Week Old Foetus
- Two Killed, 17 Injured in Florida Nightclub Shooting Rampage
- SC Notice to Vijay Mallya on Petition of Consortium of Banks
- Sidhu Blasts BJP, Doesn't Say If He Is Joining AAP
- Chinkara Case: Rajasthan High Court Acquits Salman Khan
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Assam: UPLA Chief Nikunja Kathar Arrested
- Una Incident: Dalit Writer From Gujarat to Return His Award
- Pranab Da Guided Me Like a Guardian: Modi
- Transport Employees Launch Indefinite Strike in Karnataka
- Army Arrests Wanted Terrorist in Assam
- UNSC Mandates Must Recognise Ground Realities: India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED