TN: SBI Opens 1.5 Lakh Accounts Under Jan Dhan Yojna
The country's largest public sector bank State Bank of India has opened over 1.50 lakh accounts under the Prime Minister's Jan Dhan Yojana scheme in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
During the campaign period, a record number of 1,50,189 accounts were opened against the targeted 1,25,400 bank accounts in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, the bank said in a statement.
State Bank of India, Chennai Circle, Chief General Manager, P S Prakash Rao conducted 1,927 camps to open bank accounts and as many as 1,899 business correspondents were involved for this purpose.
About 2,369 villages and 628 financial inclusion link branches in Tamil Nadu were covered during the campaign, it said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had on August 28, launched the government's mega scheme 'Jan Dhan Yojana', declaring that it was aimed at eradicating financial untouchability by providing bank accounts to the poor.
A record 1.5 crore bank accounts were opened across the country that day, the largest such exercise on a single day, possibly anywhere in the world.
- Burhan Wani's Successor Sabzar Bhat, Killed
- After Rahul, Akhilesh Denied Entry To Saharanpur
- WHO Confirms First Zika Cases From Ahmedabad
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10