TN: SBI Opens 1.5 Lakh Accounts Under Jan Dhan Yojna
The country's largest public sector bank State Bank of India has opened over 1.50 lakh accounts under the Prime Minister's Jan Dhan Yojana scheme in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
During the campaign period, a record number of 1,50,189 accounts were opened against the targeted 1,25,400 bank accounts in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, the bank said in a statement.
State Bank of India, Chennai Circle, Chief General Manager, P S Prakash Rao conducted 1,927 camps to open bank accounts and as many as 1,899 business correspondents were involved for this purpose.
About 2,369 villages and 628 financial inclusion link branches in Tamil Nadu were covered during the campaign, it said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had on August 28, launched the government's mega scheme 'Jan Dhan Yojana', declaring that it was aimed at eradicating financial untouchability by providing bank accounts to the poor.
A record 1.5 crore bank accounts were opened across the country that day, the largest such exercise on a single day, possibly anywhere in the world.
FROM WIRESState Bank of India (SBI) today launched internetmore from WIRES>>>
- Ahead of Diwali, Govt Approves 2 Per Cent Hike in DA
- Need to Have a Relook on the Minority Tag Given to Muslims: Giriraj Singh
- Pakistan Condemns 'Manhandling' Of Staffer, Says Espionage Charges False
- No Regulation of Media in a Democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Pak High Commission Staffer Asked to Leave India Within 48 Hrs
- SC Defers Hearing of Election Petition Against Sonia Gandhi
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Libya's Navy Says 90 Migrants Perished After Boat Fell Apart
- Ready to Sacrifice Myself for the Party: Amar Singh
- Neither Bua Nor Bhatija Can Improve Law and Order in UP: Amit Shah
- Pak Not to Attend Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster
- Twitter to Cut 9 Per Cent of Staff, Plots New Growth Strategy
- Ceasefire Violations, If Continues, Will Not Go Unpunished: Sharif Warns India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED