Three Relatives of the Pope Killed in Argentina Accident
Two infant grandnephews of Pope Francis and their mother were killed today when their car slammed into the back of a truck in Argentina, authorities said.
The pope's nephew, Emanuel Horacio Bergoglio, who was behind the wheel at the time of the crash, was in serious condition, they said.
His children -- aged eight months and two-year-old -- were killed in the crash along with their mother, Cordoba police commissioner Carina Ferreyra told AFP.
Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said the pope had been informed about the accident and was "deeply pained."
"He asks all those who share in his pain to join him in prayer," Lombardi added.
The family was travelling on a highway in the central province of Cordoba when their vehicle slammed into the back of a truck and burst into flames, police said.
The circumstances surrounding the crash were under investigation.
Bergoglio, who was hospitalized with multiple injuries, is the 38-year-old son of Alberto, the pope's late brother.
Both he and his two-year-old son were pulled from the wreckage alive and taken to hospital some 30 kilometers (19 miles) away where the child died shortly after being admitted.
"The patient has a guarded prognosis," hospital director Liliana Abraham told Continental radio.
Sergio Arroyo, another hospital official, said Bergoglio was admitted around 1 am with multiple trauma, an exposed fracture of the right humerus and a liver injury, which was operated on.
"He is breathing with the help of a respirator," Arroyo told reporters.
The truck driver, a man in his 60s, was not hurt.
The accident happened some 550 kilometres northwest of the capital Buenos Aires near the city of James Craik.
Fire Chief Gustavo Ponce de Leon told the TN television channel that Bergoglio was conscious when he was rescued and that he was at the wheel while his wife and children were in the backseat.
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- DU Professor Injured in Violence Hospitalised
- Fire Breaks Out At The Times Of India Building In New Delhi
- Kerala CM Retracts His Remark Denying Conspiracy in Assault on Actress
- Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Amidst Tiff With Media
- Pakistan Rangers Kill 4, Detain Over 600 Terror Suspects In 200 Search Operations
- Maharashtra: Nearly 350 Students In Custody,18 Others Arrested After Army Recruitment Board Papers Leaked
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan