Three Militants Killed, 54 Arrested in Raids by Egyptian Military
Three militants have been killed and 54 others arrested in raids conducted in North Sinai over the last three days, the Egyptian military said today.
Eight vehicles and 26 motorcycles belonging to militants were also destroyed during the raids, military spokesperson Mohamed Samir said.
The military destroyed 4 tunnels leading to Gaza that were used by terrorists to smuggle weapons, he said.
Another 122 illegal immigrants of different nationalities were also arrested, Samir said.
North Sinai has been the scene of many violent attacks by Islamist militants since the January 2011 revolution that toppled Hosni Mubarak.
The attacks targeting police and military have increased after the ouster of president Mohamed Morsi last year.
Many policemen and soldiers have been killed in the attacks.
The military conducts frequent security campaigns in the area, arrests suspects and demolishes houses that belong to terrorists, including tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip.
FROM OUTLOOKDefenceWith service chiefs increasingly at the mercy of bureaucrats and dwindling budgets, the country's defence preparedness needs to...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionTom Engelhardt addresses the graduates of 2016 fromore from WEB>>>
FROM WIREST V Parasuram Washington, July 23 (PTI) Diffemore from WIRES>>>
- Congress Derails RS Proceedings Over Private Member Bill on AP
- Supreme Court Allows Abortion of 24-Week Old Foetus
- Two Killed, 17 Injured in Florida Nightclub Shooting Rampage
- SC Notice to Vijay Mallya on Petition of Consortium of Banks
- Sidhu Blasts BJP, Doesn't Say If He Is Joining AAP
- Chinkara Case: Rajasthan High Court Acquits Salman Khan
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Assam: UPLA Chief Nikunja Kathar Arrested
- Una Incident: Dalit Writer From Gujarat to Return His Award
- Pranab Da Guided Me Like a Guardian: Modi
- Transport Employees Launch Indefinite Strike in Karnataka
- Army Arrests Wanted Terrorist in Assam
- UNSC Mandates Must Recognise Ground Realities: India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED