Three Militants Killed, 54 Arrested in Raids by Egyptian Military
Three militants have been killed and 54 others arrested in raids conducted in North Sinai over the last three days, the Egyptian military said today.
Eight vehicles and 26 motorcycles belonging to militants were also destroyed during the raids, military spokesperson Mohamed Samir said.
The military destroyed 4 tunnels leading to Gaza that were used by terrorists to smuggle weapons, he said.
Another 122 illegal immigrants of different nationalities were also arrested, Samir said.
North Sinai has been the scene of many violent attacks by Islamist militants since the January 2011 revolution that toppled Hosni Mubarak.
The attacks targeting police and military have increased after the ouster of president Mohamed Morsi last year.
Many policemen and soldiers have been killed in the attacks.
The military conducts frequent security campaigns in the area, arrests suspects and demolishes houses that belong to terrorists, including tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip.
FROM OUTLOOKDefenceWith service chiefs increasingly at the mercy of bureaucrats and dwindling budgets, the country's defence preparedness needs to...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionTom Engelhardt addresses the graduates of 2016 fromore from WEB>>>
FROM WIREST V Parasuram Washington, July 23 (PTI) Diffemore from WIRES>>>
- Agli Baar, Medal Beshumaar: PM Announces Task Force to Prepare India for Olympics
- France Top Court Suspends Burkini Ban
- Pak Regrets India's Rejection of 'Discuss Kashmir' Proposal
- Scorpene Data Leak Not a Big Worry: Parrikar
- Can't Order Establishment of 'Ram Rajya' in the Country: SC
- Haji Ali Dargah Should Allow Women, Says Bombay HC
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Whistleblower to Handover Scorpene Data Disk to Aus Govt: Newspaper
- Kanhaiya, Two Others Granted Regular Bail in Sedition Case
- Odisha Govt Admits Lapses, Man Says No Heed Paid by Hospital
- Are Decisions Taken by Cabinet Being Implemented, PM Seeks to Know
- AAP Removes Chhotepur as Punjab Convenor
- Cong Raking Up Needless Controversies for Political Gains: Naidu
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED