Three Killed in Violence in Saharanpur, Curfew Clamped
Three persons were killed and 19 others, including policemen, injured today as violent clashes broke out between two communities over a land dispute in Saharanpur as mobs indulged in arson, after which curfew was clamped and shoot-at-sight ordered.
"Three persons, including traders leader Harish Kochar, Arif and an unidentified person were killed in clashes between the two communities," Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Mukul Goel told PTI in Lucknow.
Five policemen, city magistrate, and 13 others were injured. A constable Shensar Pal was stated to be in a serious condition in Chandigarh PGI after suffering a bullet injury.
District Magistrate Sandhya Tiwari and SSP Rajesh Kumar Pandey told the media in Saharanpur this evening that shoot-at-sight order has been issued.
Police fired rubber bullets to control the situation as mobs went on rampage setting several shops afire.
Prohibitory orders under section 144 of CrPC have been invoked in the district and curfew has been clamped in six areas, Commissioner, Saharanpur, Tanveer Zafar Ali said.
Senior administrative and police officials were rushed to the spot to pacify the rival groups.
DIG STF Deepak Ratan and Bhuvnesh Kumar, who was Commissioner of Saharanpur earlier, have been rushed from Lucknow by helicopter to control the situation, sources said.
Besides, 18 companies of additional force including eight of PAC, six of CRPF ,two of RAF and two of ITBP have been deployed in the troubled areas, sources said.
"As per the information received so far, there was a dispute over land between two communities which escalated this morning," Goel said.
Trouble began when members of one community started construction work at the site in Kutubsher area in the wee hours this morning, which was objected to by the other group.
Both the sides indulged in heavy brick-batting, arson and opened fire and there were reports of several shops being gutted in the clash, police said.
Even as curfew has been clamped, sporadic incidents of clashes were reported.
The ADG said senior officers were camping in the area.
Saharanpur is nearly 170 km from national capital Delhi and 560 km from state capital Lucknow.
FROM OUTLOOKProfileNarain Karthikeyan, gunning for the Formula 1, is the great Indian hope on the race track...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhanmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESWashington, June 22, India today urged the Unitedmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Will Give Befitting Response to Any Misadventure: Raheel
- Shahabuddin Surrenders, Says CM Will be 'Taught a Lesson'
- Sri Lanka Becomes Fifth Nation to Pull Out of SAARC
- SC Cancels RJD Leader Shahabuddin's Bail, Sends Him Back to Jail
- Surgical Strikes by India in PoK an Act of Self Defence: Afghanistan
- Bihar Liquor Prohibition Law Illegal, Rules Patna High Court
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Will Tell India What Is Real Surgical Strike: Saeed
- Telcos Meet TRAI, Allege Tariff Order Violation by RJio
- Surgical Strike: South Korea Supports India's Stance
- Court Issues NBW Against Dawood Ibrahim, Chhota Shakeel
- 10 Killed, 29 Missing in Typhoon Megi in China
- Philippine Prez Duterte 'Happy to Slaughter' Drug Suspects, Mentions Hitler
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED