Three Die as Train Rams Two-Wheeler at Level Crossing
Three members of a family, including a boy and his mother, were killed today when their two-wheeler was hit by an express train at a manned level crossing near here as the rider attempted to cross it disregarding warning by the gatekeeper, police said.
The tragedy occurred as the rider of the two-wheeler Annadurai with his wife, daughter and grandson in the pillion attempted to cross the track despite warning by the gatekeeper about the oncoming train at Senthurai, but got stuck in panic.
Annadurai, his daughter Amsavalli and grandson Satheesh were killed on the spot as the Guruvayur Express rammed into the two-wheeler while his wife managed to escape as she jumped down from the vehicle in time.
According to police, Annadurai, who was taking his sick grandson to a doctor, manoeuvred his two-wheeler through one side of closed bar-gate of the level crossing after asking the pillion riders to get off.
After crossing one side of the bar-gate, the pillion riders hurriedly got back on the seat even as the gatekeeper warned them not to cross the track as the train was fast approaching the place.
Following the accident, the train was held up for more than half an hour.
FROM OUTLOOKRailwaysLack of funds, poor planning, fare disparity Nitish Kumar wants to rid the Railways of its ills...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBRail DiarySeven of us have either flown in or railroaded tomore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESKolkata, July 23 (PTI) Union Minister of State formore from WIRES>>>
- Nepal in Fresh Political Turmoil as PM Oli Resigns
- Want Emotional Relationship With People of Kashmir: Rajnath Singh
- Delhi and Gujarat Will Fight Together Against BJP: Kejriwal
- US Court Overturns Indian-Origin Woman's Foeticide Conviction
- No Clue of Missing IAF Plane, Satellite Imagery Sought
- Wrestler Narsingh Fails Dope Test, Rio Participation Doubtful
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Assam: Five Poachers Held, Rhino Horn Recovered
- Indian-Origin Labour MP Files Complaint Against Corbyn's Aide
- UK MP Alok Sharma Picks India for First Visit as Post-Brexit Minister
- AAP Leadership Incompetent, Stands Exposed: BJP After MLA's Arrest
- Judith D'Souza Returns to Kolkata After Being Rescued in Kabul
- Do Not Intervene in South China Sea Dispute: China Tells Japan
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED