Thane Businessman Alleges Torture in Police Station
A city-based businessman has alleged that he had been illegally detained and tortured at a police station last month and the personnel there extorted Rs 4 lakh for his release after falsely implicating him in a criminal case.
Following the complaint filed by one Rooplal Khemji Patel, city police last evening booked a case against the five personnel, including an Assistant Police Inspector--all attached to Naupada police station, under various sections of Indian Penal Code (IPC) for wrongful confinement to extort property, or constrain to illegal act.
This has been stated in the daily crime report circulated to the media by the Thane Police and none of the police officers concerned are ready to speak on this issue.
According to Patel, API Nitin Patil, and police constables Rajendra Nikam, Sandeep Shirke, Kishore Thorat and Prakash Patil picked him up and detained him at the police station during June 9-11, on the charge of purchasing stolen goods--pressure cooker whistles.
Patel alleged that the police personnel tortured him and took Rs 4900 cash he was carrying at the time of the incident.
"They also raided his (Patel's) house and took away Rs. 19,900 in cash," the report said quoting the complaint.
"The accused also made him confess to having sold some of the stolen goods to another shopkeeper Hirji Patel. They extracted Rs. 4 lakh from Hirji to secure Patel's release," the press communique said.
The complainant also alleged that the policemen also took away five bags full of copper material from his shop.
Patel also accused the police personnel of making him and Hirji sign on some documents related to the "crime", which he said were fabricated and used for "investigation".
- Suicide Bomber Responsible For Manchester Blast
- Police Confirm Probe Still On Against Major Who Used Civilian As Human-Shield
- Manchester Attack: 'Broken.. I'm Sorry', Says Pop Singer Ariana Whose Concert Was Hit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10