Thane Businessman Alleges Torture in Police Station
A city-based businessman has alleged that he had been illegally detained and tortured at a police station last month and the personnel there extorted Rs 4 lakh for his release after falsely implicating him in a criminal case.
Following the complaint filed by one Rooplal Khemji Patel, city police last evening booked a case against the five personnel, including an Assistant Police Inspector--all attached to Naupada police station, under various sections of Indian Penal Code (IPC) for wrongful confinement to extort property, or constrain to illegal act.
This has been stated in the daily crime report circulated to the media by the Thane Police and none of the police officers concerned are ready to speak on this issue.
According to Patel, API Nitin Patil, and police constables Rajendra Nikam, Sandeep Shirke, Kishore Thorat and Prakash Patil picked him up and detained him at the police station during June 9-11, on the charge of purchasing stolen goods--pressure cooker whistles.
Patel alleged that the police personnel tortured him and took Rs 4900 cash he was carrying at the time of the incident.
"They also raided his (Patel's) house and took away Rs. 19,900 in cash," the report said quoting the complaint.
"The accused also made him confess to having sold some of the stolen goods to another shopkeeper Hirji Patel. They extracted Rs. 4 lakh from Hirji to secure Patel's release," the press communique said.
The complainant also alleged that the policemen also took away five bags full of copper material from his shop.
Patel also accused the police personnel of making him and Hirji sign on some documents related to the "crime", which he said were fabricated and used for "investigation".
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Yashvardhan Sinha Appointed India's High Commissioner to UK
- BSF Orders More Non-Lethal Weapons for Use at Bangladesh Border
- Pathankot on High Alert, Search Operation Launched
- Curfew Relaxed for Six Hours in Kishtwar District of J&K
- India Confronts Pak Envoy With Proof of Uri Attack's Cross Border Origins
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED