Thane Businessman Alleges Torture in Police Station
A city-based businessman has alleged that he had been illegally detained and tortured at a police station last month and the personnel there extorted Rs 4 lakh for his release after falsely implicating him in a criminal case.
Following the complaint filed by one Rooplal Khemji Patel, city police last evening booked a case against the five personnel, including an Assistant Police Inspector--all attached to Naupada police station, under various sections of Indian Penal Code (IPC) for wrongful confinement to extort property, or constrain to illegal act.
This has been stated in the daily crime report circulated to the media by the Thane Police and none of the police officers concerned are ready to speak on this issue.
According to Patel, API Nitin Patil, and police constables Rajendra Nikam, Sandeep Shirke, Kishore Thorat and Prakash Patil picked him up and detained him at the police station during June 9-11, on the charge of purchasing stolen goods--pressure cooker whistles.
Patel alleged that the police personnel tortured him and took Rs 4900 cash he was carrying at the time of the incident.
"They also raided his (Patel's) house and took away Rs. 19,900 in cash," the report said quoting the complaint.
"The accused also made him confess to having sold some of the stolen goods to another shopkeeper Hirji Patel. They extracted Rs. 4 lakh from Hirji to secure Patel's release," the press communique said.
The complainant also alleged that the policemen also took away five bags full of copper material from his shop.
Patel also accused the police personnel of making him and Hirji sign on some documents related to the "crime", which he said were fabricated and used for "investigation".
- No Explanation, No Opportunity to Defend Myself, Says Mistry in an Explosive Mail to Board Members
- Modi-Key Talks: NZ Assures 'Constructive' Approach on NSG Bid
- Akhilesh Briefs Governor Ram Naik on Political Situation in UP
- Former Karnataka CM B.S. Yeddyurappa Acquitted of Corruption Charges
- Manipuri Student's Body Found in JNU Hostel Room
- Paul Beatty Becomes the First American to Win Booker Prize
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Police Registers Assault Case Against AAP MLA Amantullah Khan
- PM Asks Officials to Analyze World Bank Report Which Ranked India 130th
- Cabinet May Consider Advancing Budget to Feb 1
- UNESCO Approves Resolution on Jerusalem That Israel Says Denies Judaism's Ties to Temple Mount
- 26/11: India Not Responding to Pak Request to Send Witnesses, Says Prosecution
- Pak Lawmakers Slam Cricketers for Doing Push-Ups After Match Win Instead of Praying
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED