Thane Businessman Alleges Torture in Police Station
A city-based businessman has alleged that he had been illegally detained and tortured at a police station last month and the personnel there extorted Rs 4 lakh for his release after falsely implicating him in a criminal case.
Following the complaint filed by one Rooplal Khemji Patel, city police last evening booked a case against the five personnel, including an Assistant Police Inspector--all attached to Naupada police station, under various sections of Indian Penal Code (IPC) for wrongful confinement to extort property, or constrain to illegal act.
This has been stated in the daily crime report circulated to the media by the Thane Police and none of the police officers concerned are ready to speak on this issue.
According to Patel, API Nitin Patil, and police constables Rajendra Nikam, Sandeep Shirke, Kishore Thorat and Prakash Patil picked him up and detained him at the police station during June 9-11, on the charge of purchasing stolen goods--pressure cooker whistles.
Patel alleged that the police personnel tortured him and took Rs 4900 cash he was carrying at the time of the incident.
"They also raided his (Patel's) house and took away Rs. 19,900 in cash," the report said quoting the complaint.
"The accused also made him confess to having sold some of the stolen goods to another shopkeeper Hirji Patel. They extracted Rs. 4 lakh from Hirji to secure Patel's release," the press communique said.
The complainant also alleged that the policemen also took away five bags full of copper material from his shop.
Patel also accused the police personnel of making him and Hirji sign on some documents related to the "crime", which he said were fabricated and used for "investigation".
- Congress Bastion Amethi Goes To Polls
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'You Want To Make Universities Laboratories For Separatist Experiments?' Naidu Asks Congress, Left
- Madras High Court Exempts Class Xth Non-Tamil Students From Writing Examination In Tamil
- Banned SIMI Chief And 10 Others Given Life Imprisonment In Sedition Case
- Airtel Removes Roaming Charges on Calls, Data
- Now, BJP MP Pratap Simha Compares Kargil Martyr's Daughter With Dawood Ibrahim
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events