Textile Ministry to Sanction Housing Scheme for Knitwear Workers
Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu today said his ministry would sanction a housing scheme for knitwear workers of Tirupur with support from the Tamil Nadu government.
The modalities of the scheme would eventually be worked out and the state government has to identify land for it, he told reporters on the sidelines of a function part of silver jubilee celebrations of Tirupur Exporters' Association (TEA).
Naidu responded to the question after local CPI(M) MLA K Thangavel highlighted the plight of garment workers due to lack of affordable housing.
The minister said the National Urban Housing Mission and New Urban Development Mission would be launched soon.
Once in place, it would be in line with the Prime Minister's vision of housing for all by 2022, he said.
Lauding the growth of Tirupur, Naidu said the knitwear hub has emerged from Rs 15 crore turnover in 1980s to Rs 18,000 crore now. "Tirupur is a place of happening and this is no ordinary achievement," he said.
Assuring Centre's support in the growth and development of the knitwear cluster, he said, "it is the duty of the State and Centre to come together to tap the native potential."
- French Burkini Bans Face Legal Challenge as Tension Mounts
- India Talks Tough With Pak, Says Willing to Discuss Terror
- Stand By Every Word I Said on RSS: Rahul Gandhi
- Angry Mehbooba Ends Press Meet With Rajnath Abruptly
- Scorpene Leak: Navy Takes Up Issue With France's DGA
- Alternatives to Pellet Guns in Few Days: Rajnath
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Anil Arora, Mr. Bookworm, R.I.P.
- Delhi: Female TV Journalist Harassed, One Held
- Three Decades After Anti-Sikh Riots, Two Victims to Get Compensation
- Maleeha Lodhi Pitches for Pak's Inclusion in NSG
- Outsiders Engineered Coup Against Chhotepur: Amarinder
- Mangaluru: Eggs Hurled at Actor Ramya's Car Over Pak Comment
- Rebel AAP MLA Moves Breach of Privilege Notice Against Sisodia
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED