Tension in Muzaffarnagar After Mob Beats Up Youths
Tension prevailed after four students from a community were beaten up by a group of people in Jat colony here, sparking protests.
The trouble started when the four youths had gone for tuition classes in the colony last evening. A group of people allegedly attacked them claiming that they were indulging in eve-teasing, police said.
The boys were rescued by the police and were admitted to hospital.
Irate protesters laid a siege at a police station demanding action against those who had beaten up the boys.
Police have registered a case against 150 people for the violence and named three of them.
Superintendent of Police Sarvan Kumar told reporters here today that some people tried to block the road at Meenakshi Chowk here last evening but additional forces were rushed and the situation brought under control.
Security has been tightened and paramilitary personnel have been deployed in sensitive areas in Muzaffarnagar.
The western Uttar Pradesh district has witnessed a string of communal incidents since the riots in September last year that left over 60 people dead and hundreds of others displaced.
FROM OUTLOOKProfileNarain Karthikeyan, gunning for the Formula 1, is the great Indian hope on the race track...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhanmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESWashington, June 22, India today urged the Unitedmore from WIRES>>>
- Ahead of Diwali, Govt Approves 2 Per Cent Hike in DA
- Need to Have a Relook on the Minority Tag Given to Muslims: Giriraj Singh
- Pakistan Condemns 'Manhandling' Of Staffer, Says Espionage Charges False
- No Regulation of Media in a Democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Pak High Commission Staffer Asked to Leave India Within 48 Hrs
- SC Defers Hearing of Election Petition Against Sonia Gandhi
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Libya's Navy Says 90 Migrants Perished After Boat Fell Apart
- Ready to Sacrifice Myself for the Party: Amar Singh
- Neither Bua Nor Bhatija Can Improve Law and Order in UP: Amit Shah
- Pak Not to Attend Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster
- Twitter to Cut 9 Per Cent of Staff, Plots New Growth Strategy
- Ceasefire Violations, If Continues, Will Not Go Unpunished: Sharif Warns India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED