Tension at LoC: Pak Trade Event in Mumbai Called Off
Heightened tensions with Pakistan has cast a shadow over the second edition of 'Made in Pakistan Expo Mumbai' which was scheduled to start here tomorrow, with the organisers indefinitely postponing the event at the last minute.
"We would like to inform you that due to the ongoing tense situation at the Line of Control (LOC) and on the advice from our partners 'World Trade Centre', we have postponed the second edition of MIPEM 2014," the organisers said in a brief statement today.
General Secretary of Pakistan-India People's Forum for Peace and Democracy Jatin Desai said the Pakistani businessmen scheduled to attend the event decided against the visit.
"From the time India announced the cancellation of Foreign Secretary-level talks with Pakistan, there has been a tense environment on both sides and Pakistani traders feared threat to their lives if they came to India. So fear and precaution made them take this step," Desai told PTI.
"We had received overwhelming response to the first edition of the expo that we held in April this year despite the event not being publicised much. We were expecting to do much more business this time. We believe that bilateral trade needs to be uninterrupted and uninterruptible," Desai added.
Around 300 Pakistani businessmen, mostly from the garment industry, were expected to take part in the second edition of the expo themed "Festival of Friendship". Starting tomorrow, the event was scheduled to conclude on September 5.
The highlights of the event had included a Pakistani food festival, a fashion show and an art exhibition.
Despite calling off the Foreign Secretary-level talks with Pakistan, India had earlier this week cleared visas for businessmen to attend the expo, which was to move over to Delhi on September 10.
- CBSE Announces Class 12 Exam Results, Topper Scores 99.6%
- Curfew In Srinagar Day After Bhat Killed
- Police Reveal Photos Of Manchester Bomber
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10