Techie Murder: Two More Hindu Rashtra Sena Men Held
Two more persons have been arrested in connection with last week's killing of an IT professional at suburban Hadapsar which witnessed violence in the wake of Facebook posts denigrating Shivaji and Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray, police said today.
Both the accused arrested last night are affiliated to the Hindu Rashtra Sena (HRS), suspected of involvement in the murder of 28-year-old Mohasin Shaikh, who was bludgeoned to death by a mob that went on a rampage following the detection on May 31 of controversial images on Facebook posted by unknown persons, an official from Hadapsar police station said.
With the fresh arrests, the number of HRS activists booked for the fatal attack on Shaikh stands at 19.
HRS chief Dhananjay Desai too was arrested on charges of distributing inflammatory literature detrimental to social harmony and his role in the June 2 mob violence was being investigated, police said.
Meanwhile, tension prevailed in parts of the city last night after another Facebook post which reportedly contained derogatory references against a prominent national figure surfaced on the social networking site, leading to protests by Republican Party of India activists, city police said.
A few buses were also damaged in stone pelting even as swift action by police brought the situation under control, Pune Municipal Corporation sources said.
The overall situation in the city and suburbs was peaceful and fully under control, police control room said.
- Ahead of Diwali, Govt Approves 2 Per Cent Hike in DA
- Need to Have a Relook on the Minority Tag Given to Muslims: Giriraj Singh
- Pakistan Condemns 'Manhandling' Of Staffer, Says Espionage Charges False
- No Regulation of Media in a Democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Pak High Commission Staffer Asked to Leave India Within 48 Hrs
- SC Defers Hearing of Election Petition Against Sonia Gandhi
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Libya's Navy Says 90 Migrants Perished After Boat Fell Apart
- Ready to Sacrifice Myself for the Party: Amar Singh
- Neither Bua Nor Bhatija Can Improve Law and Order in UP: Amit Shah
- Pak Not to Attend Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster
- Twitter to Cut 9 Per Cent of Staff, Plots New Growth Strategy
- Ceasefire Violations, If Continues, Will Not Go Unpunished: Sharif Warns India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED