Techie Murder: Two More Hindu Rashtra Sena Men Held
Two more persons have been arrested in connection with last week's killing of an IT professional at suburban Hadapsar which witnessed violence in the wake of Facebook posts denigrating Shivaji and Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray, police said today.
Both the accused arrested last night are affiliated to the Hindu Rashtra Sena (HRS), suspected of involvement in the murder of 28-year-old Mohasin Shaikh, who was bludgeoned to death by a mob that went on a rampage following the detection on May 31 of controversial images on Facebook posted by unknown persons, an official from Hadapsar police station said.
With the fresh arrests, the number of HRS activists booked for the fatal attack on Shaikh stands at 19.
HRS chief Dhananjay Desai too was arrested on charges of distributing inflammatory literature detrimental to social harmony and his role in the June 2 mob violence was being investigated, police said.
Meanwhile, tension prevailed in parts of the city last night after another Facebook post which reportedly contained derogatory references against a prominent national figure surfaced on the social networking site, leading to protests by Republican Party of India activists, city police said.
A few buses were also damaged in stone pelting even as swift action by police brought the situation under control, Pune Municipal Corporation sources said.
The overall situation in the city and suburbs was peaceful and fully under control, police control room said.
- SC Critical of Magistrate Ordering Probe in Rahul Defamation Case
- Modi May Get Me Killed as Well: Kejriwal
- Sharif Describes Kashmir As 'Unfinished Agenda' of UN
- Key Witness Says Salman Khan Killed the Chinkara
- Muslim Women Beaten Up by Gau Rakshaks in MP, Uproar in RS
- Narsingh Replaced by Rana, Scandal Reaches Police
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- LS Passes Bill to Check Benami Transactions
- Tribunal Nixed Karnataka Petition to Divert Mahadayi Water: Goa CM
- Woman Alleges Gang Rape by Two in Nallasopara
- No Indian Writer in Booker Prize 2016 Longlist
- AgustaWestland Bribery Scam: CBI Returns From Italy
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan Moves Sessions Court for Bail
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED