Taliban Kill 4 Afghan Policemen in Attack in Southern Province
An Afghan official says Taliban fighters stormed a police checkpoint overnight in southern Helmand province, killing four policemen.
Deputy district Governor Mohammad Rassoul says the attack happened in Sangin district and that the Taliban have captured the checkpoint.
Rasssoul says the government forces are trying to retake the post and that clashes are underway at the location between Afghan police and the Taliban.
The attack took place as US Secretary of State John Kerry was in Kabul today for talks aimed at preventing the fragile country from collapsing into political chaos after disputed elections.
Kerry, who arrived the day before, is to urge two contenders from the presidential election runoff to accept results of an ongoing audit of all ballots and form a national unity government by early September.
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Racism Row After South Africa School Asks Girls to Straighten Hair
- Dana Majhi Takes Part in 'Padayatra' Organised by Congress
- NIA Summons Geelani's Elder Son for Questioning
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED