Syrian Rebels Attack Peacekeepers in Golan Heights
The Philippine defense chief says Filipino peacekeepers in the Golan Heights have been attacked by Syrian rebels who are holding dozens of Fijian troops hostage.
Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin told reporters today in a series of text messages that Filipino troops manning one U.N. Encampment have been "extricated," while soldiers in another encampment were "now under attack."
He said the attack started early today Syrian time.
Gazmin did not say whether there were any casualties. Asked how the troops were doing, he said they had "high morale."
The Syrian rebels have seized 44 Fijian peacekeepers and demanded that the 75 Filipinos manning two separate U.
FROM OUTLOOKDefenceWith service chiefs increasingly at the mercy of bureaucrats and dwindling budgets, the country's defence preparedness needs to...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionTom Engelhardt addresses the graduates of 2016 fromore from WEB>>>
FROM WIREST V Parasuram Washington, July 23 (PTI) Diffemore from WIRES>>>
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- Pak's Top Court Upholds Death Penalty for Mentally-Ill Man
- Bombings Kill at Least 17 in Baghdad: Officials
- Debate Microphone Was Defective: Trump
- Ali Bongo Sworn In as Gabon President After Disputed Win
- Pak Lawmakers Adopt Landmark Hindu Marriage Bill
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED