Syria Jihadists Free Four Lebanese Soldiers, Policeman
Four soldiers and a police officer kidnapped in the east of Lebanon nearly a month ago have been freed by the Syrian branch of Al-Qaeda, a security service official told AFP.
The five "taken hostage by the Al-Nusra Front have been freed and have arrived in Arsal," a Lebanese town on the border with Syria, he said.
The national news agency (ANI) confirmed that five hostages had been released, although many other troops seized at the same time remain in the hands of different extremist groups.
The official, who did not want to be named, said the men had been handed over to a religious leader who had acted as a mediator. "They are still not in the hands of the security services," he added.
The men were taken from Arsal on August 2 during a fierce battle between the Lebanese army and jihadists who had crossed the border from Syria.
Three jihadist groups, including the Al-Nusra Front and Islamic State (IS), are still holding 15 soldiers and 14 police officers.
The freeing of the men happened yesterday, several hours after a video was released showing the beheading apparently of a Lebanese soldier by IS, the extremist group which has carried out attacks in Syria and Iraq and who beheaded US journalist James Foley this month.
The Lebanese army has told AFP it is "investigating" the images.
The jihadists say they want to swap the hostages for Islamist prisoners being held in Lebanon, although the army has demanded the immediate, and unconditional, release of the soldiers.
While the Al-Nusra Front and IS share the same jihadist ideology, they are rivals on the ground in Syria.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman