Suspended Congress Legislator Nishith Patel Joins BJP
Hours after he was suspended from Congress, former MLA Nishith Patel today joined the ruling BJP in Madhya Pradesh and accused the main Opposition party of neglecting the poor and tribals.
Patel joined the saffron outfit in the presence of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar at a by-poll rally in Barhi under Bahoriband Assembly constituency in Katni district, about 300km from here.
"I am joining BJP after watching the party's dedication towards people. I am impressed by its commitment for welfare of the common man," Patel said on the occasion.
Patel said he was influenced by the personality of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chouhan.
Criticising Congress, he said the party had always left tribals, the poor and farmers in lurch after elections.
Earlier in the day, Congress suspended Patel for participating in "anti-party" activities.
State Congress President Arun Yadav has suspended Patel for his "anti-party" activities, party spokesman K K Mishra told reporters.
Patel had been allegedly working against Sourabh Singh, the Congress candidate from Bahoriband, where bypoll will be held on August 21 along with two other seats in the State.
Yadav took action against Patel on the basis of a complaint received from Singh, Mishra said.
Patel is the son of former Congress Minister Shravan Patel, who is considered close to senior party leader and MP Jyotirdaitya Scindia.
Patel fought the 2013 Assembly polls from Bahoriband as Congress nominee but lost to Prabhat Pandey of BJP. The bypoll has been necessitated following the death of Pandey.
For the bypoll, Congress gave ticket to Singh, who joined the party after leaving BSP. Patel had been opposing Singh's candidature from Bahoriband.
- Nationalism is the Identity of BJP: Narendra Modi
- IITs to Admit Non-Resident Students
- Pakistan-Not-Hell Remark Lands Kannada Actor in Sedition Net?
- Gujarat: 50 Cong MLAs Suspended From Assembly, Ruckus Over Una Incident
- Toxic Gas Leak at B'desh Fertiliser Unit Sickens 250, Plugged
- Opposition MLAs Marshaled Out, Pandemonium in UP Assembly
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Anil Arora, Mr. Bookworm, R.I.P.
- Delhi: Fire Triggers Building Collapse, 250 Bikes Gutted
- Upset Over SC Curb on Dahi Handi, Record-Holding Mandal to Return Award
- Surat: Two Dead, One Suffers Partial Sight Loss After Consuming Hooch
- BJP Interfering in Federal Structure, TMC Complains to President
- Cow is Mother of Not Only Hindus But Also of Muslims: Swaroopanand
- South Africa, New Zealand Test Drawn After Match Abandoned
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED