Suspected LeT Operatives Sent to Judicial Custody Till Sept 2
Suspected Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) men Abdul Subhan and Asahbuddin, arrested for their alleged role in conspiring to carry out terror strikes in Delhi and adjoining areas, were today remanded in judicial custody till September 2 by a court here.
Subhan and his nephew Asahbuddin were produced in court after expiry of their police custody and Special Cell of Delhi Police moved an application saying that they be sent to judicial custody.
Additional Sessions Judge Reetesh Singh allowed the plea of police and remanded both the accused in judicial custody for two weeks.
Subhan and Asahbuddin were earlier remanded in police custody after the cops had told the court that they have to be confronted with co-accused Arshad Khan who was arrested on August 13 after being produced before the court from Kolkata Jail.
Arshad is presently in police custody till August 21.
The Special Cell had told the court that these accused were required to be confronted with each other to know about the penetration of LeT in Delhi and other parts of the country.
Pakistani national Arshad, who was lodged in Kolkata jail in connection with shoe baron Partha Roy Burman kidnapping case of 2001, was produced before the court on August 13 in pursuance to the production warrant issued against him.
The police had earlier filed its charge sheet in the case against accused Mohd Rashid and Mohd Shahid who were arrested in December last year from Haryana's Mewat region.
With their arrest, police had claimed to have unearthed a terror module of LeT which was at an "advanced stage" of planning a major strike in Delhi.
Subhan was arrested by the special cell on May 20 while Asahbuddin, who was serving life term in Kolkata for his role in Partha Roy Burman kidnapping case, was arrested here on May 27 after he was brought from Kolkata.
Police had claimed that absconding top LeT commander Javed Baluchi, who is based in Pakistan, was the "kingpin" of the entire conspiracy and Arshad was in touch with him.
A charge sheet was filed against Rashid and Shahid on May 8, this year and they were charged with offences of criminal conspiracy under IPC and the provisions of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. Rashid and Shahid are presently lodged in Tihar jail under judicial custody.
Regarding Baluchi, police had said intelligence agencies had provided information in November last year that he was contacted on his Pakistani mobile number from Rajasthan and there were conversations regarding a conspiracy to carry out a terror strike in India.
- Pak Balochistan Province Assembly Resolution Condemns Modi
- Unity, Love Basic Mantras to Address Kashmir Problem: PM
- JNU Rape Case: Varsity Suspends Accused Scholar
- Curfew in Some Parts of Srinagar, Two Towns in South Kashmir
- Trump Vows to Begin Deportations Immediately If Sworn In
- Pak: LeJ Terrorists Involved in Lanka Cricket Team Attack Killed
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- PM Hails ISRO for Successful Testing of Scramjet Rocket Engine
- SFIO Widens Mallya Probe, Former Top Bankers Under Scanner
- Mayawati Takes Fight to Mulayam's Turf, Slams SP, BJP
- Talks With Whosoever is Ready to Reject Violence: Mehbooba
- Mid-Air Horror as Engine Torn Apart, US Flight Diverted
- GST an Example of How Big Tasks Can be Done If Parties Work Together: PM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED