Suspected LeT Operatives Sent to Judicial Custody Till Sept 16
Suspected LeT operatives Abdul Subhan and his nephew Asahbuddin, arrested for their alleged role in planning to carry out terror strikes in Delhi and adjoining areas, were today remanded in judicial custody till September 16 by a court here.
They were produced before Additional Sessions Judge Reetesh Singh after expiry of their judicial custody and Special Cell of Delhi Police moved an application seeking extension of their remand saying that their probe into the case was going on.
The police had earlier filed its charge sheet in the case against accused Mohd Rashid and Mohd Shahid who were arrested in December last year from Haryana's Mewat region.
With their arrest, police had claimed to have unearthed a terror module of LeT which was at an "advanced stage" of planning a major strike in Delhi.
Subhan was arrested by the special cell on May 20 while Asahbuddin, who was serving life term in Kolkata for his role in the Partha Roy Burman kidnapping case of 2001, was arrested here on May 27 after he was brought from that city.
Police had claimed that absconding top LeT commander Javed Baluchi, who is based in Pakistan, was the "kingpin" of the entire conspiracy while Pakistani national Arshad Khan, co-accused in the case, was in touch with him.
A charge sheet was filed against Rashid and Shahid on May 8 and they were charged with offences of criminal conspiracy under IPC and the provisions of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. Rashid and Shahid are lodged in Tihar jail under judicial custody.
Regarding Baluchi, police had said intelligence agencies had provided information in November last year that he was contacted on his Pakistani mobile number from Rajasthan and there were conversations regarding a conspiracy to carry out a terror strike in India.
Subhan and Asahbuddin were earlier remanded in police custody after the cops had told the court that they have to be confronted with Arshad who was arrested on August 13 after being produced before the court from Kolkata jail where he was lodged in connection with Burman kidnapping case.
FROM OUTLOOKKargilThe infiltration in Kashmir forms part of a larger pan-Islamic terrorist plan to widen the jehad...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBThe Mysterious Terror BoatBJP president Amit Shah is ecstatic; proud of themore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESSanctions on Pakistan-based terrorist organismore from WIRES>>>
- Rahul Gandhi Should Stop Lying and Apologise: RSS
- 11 Turkish Police Killed in Bombing, PKK Blamed
- Haji Ali Dargah Should Allow Women, Says Bombay HC
- Curfew in Several Areas of Kashmir Ahead of Planned March
- 7 Killed as Gunmen Storm Beach Restaurant in Somali Capital
- Bodo Students Body Protests Giving Land to Patanjali Yogpeeth
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- India Ranks 77th on World Risk Index
- No One Should Tell Women What to Wear: Khan on Burkini Ban
- Can't Order Establishment of 'Ram Rajya' in the Country: SC
- German Mayor Fires Muslim Intern for 'Wearing Headscarf'
- Subrata Roy Offers in SC to Pay Rs 300 Cr as Bank Gurantee
- Singapore Bids Farewell to Indian-Origin Ex-President Nathan
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED