Suspected ISI Agent Arrested in Meerut: Police
A suspected agent of Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence was arrested in Uttar Pradesh's Meerut district today on the charge of passing defence information to ISI, a senior police officer said.
Acting on a tip-off, the Special Task Force of the Uttar Pradesh Police arrested Asif Ali from Subash Bazar area while he was passing information relating to the Indian Army to ISI, STF DSP Anil Kumar said.
A number of important documents were recovered from him, he said, adding during interrogation, Ali confessed he was an ISI agent.
Pass books and debit cards of Indian and Pakistani banks were recovered from him, the DSP said.
Ali's interrogation brought out that his wife and children are staying in Pakistan while he was living in a rented accommodation in Delhi Gate locality in Meerut, Kumar said.
In Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Mukul Goel said preliminary investigations showed Ali was passing information about Indian Army to ISI.
He got married in Pakistan and had two children there, the police officer said, adding "he used to go there on the pretext of meeting his family".
Goel said during one of these visits seven to eight years ago he came in contact with some ISI officials.
"Since then he has been involved in this activity," he said.
Maps, a cheque of Pakistan's Al Habeeb Bank, a passport and some mobile phones were recovered from Asif's possession, the ADGP said.
During interrogation, the agent said in the past he had transferred money in the accounts of a retired JCO and a JCO, according to the STF.
The agent revealed ISI officer Zahid had provided him with a debit card which was used to withdrawn money in India.
"The money was later paid to army officers in lieu of information," the STF said.
Asif told his interrogators that after returning from Pakistan in May this year, he bought a laptop which he gave to the son of an army officer at Babina in Jhansi and about whose ID he had given to Zahid.
Regarding documents recovered from his possession, the agent said he was about to mail them after scanning to ISI officers in Pakistan but was caught.
- Ahead of Diwali, Govt Approves 2 Per Cent Hike in DA
- Need to Have a Relook on the Minority Tag Given to Muslims: Giriraj Singh
- Pakistan Condemns 'Manhandling' Of Staffer, Says Espionage Charges False
- No Regulation of Media in a Democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Pak High Commission Staffer Asked to Leave India Within 48 Hrs
- SC Defers Hearing of Election Petition Against Sonia Gandhi
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Libya's Navy Says 90 Migrants Perished After Boat Fell Apart
- Ready to Sacrifice Myself for the Party: Amar Singh
- Neither Bua Nor Bhatija Can Improve Law and Order in UP: Amit Shah
- Pak Not to Attend Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster
- Twitter to Cut 9 Per Cent of Staff, Plots New Growth Strategy
- Ceasefire Violations, If Continues, Will Not Go Unpunished: Sharif Warns India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED