Suspected ISI Agent Arrested in Meerut: Police
A suspected agent of Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence was arrested in Uttar Pradesh's Meerut district today on the charge of passing defence information to ISI, a senior police officer said.
Acting on a tip-off, the Special Task Force of the Uttar Pradesh Police arrested Asif Ali from Subash Bazar area while he was passing information relating to the Indian Army to ISI, STF DSP Anil Kumar said.
A number of important documents were recovered from him, he said, adding during interrogation, Ali confessed he was an ISI agent.
Pass books and debit cards of Indian and Pakistani banks were recovered from him, the DSP said.
Ali's interrogation brought out that his wife and children are staying in Pakistan while he was living in a rented accommodation in Delhi Gate locality in Meerut, Kumar said.
In Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Mukul Goel said preliminary investigations showed Ali was passing information about Indian Army to ISI.
He got married in Pakistan and had two children there, the police officer said, adding "he used to go there on the pretext of meeting his family".
Goel said during one of these visits seven to eight years ago he came in contact with some ISI officials.
"Since then he has been involved in this activity," he said.
Maps, a cheque of Pakistan's Al Habeeb Bank, a passport and some mobile phones were recovered from Asif's possession, the ADGP said.
During interrogation, the agent said in the past he had transferred money in the accounts of a retired JCO and a JCO, according to the STF.
The agent revealed ISI officer Zahid had provided him with a debit card which was used to withdrawn money in India.
"The money was later paid to army officers in lieu of information," the STF said.
Asif told his interrogators that after returning from Pakistan in May this year, he bought a laptop which he gave to the son of an army officer at Babina in Jhansi and about whose ID he had given to Zahid.
Regarding documents recovered from his possession, the agent said he was about to mail them after scanning to ISI officers in Pakistan but was caught.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman