Suspected al- Qaeda Bomb Blast Kills Yemeni General, Three Others
Separate bomb attacks by Al-Qaeda suspects today killed a senior army officer and three soldiers across Yemen's restive south and southeast, military officials said.
"A bomb planted by Al-Qaeda on a road linking the towns of Seiyun and Shibam (in the southeastern province of Hadramawt) exploded when an army vehicle passed, killing three soldiers and wounding six others," a military official told AFP.
The official added that two suspected Al-Qaeda members were arrested at a checkpoint at the entrance to Seiyun just hours before the attack.
Hadramawt has been the scene of frequent attacks on the army.
On August 17, six Al-Qaeda suspects and three soldiers were killed in clashes in the restive province where the army has boosted its deployment.
In the main southern city of Aden, meanwhile, a senior Yemeni army officer was killed on Saturday when a bomb planted in his vehicle exploded, another military official said, also blaming Al-Qaeda.
"A bomb exploded in the car of General Ahmed Mohammed Saleh al-Omari, logistics and supplies officer of the third military region... Wounding him and his son" in Aden's Al-Mansura district, the source said.
Both were hospitalised but Omari later died of his wounds, the official and a medical source said.
Yemeni authorities blame Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, which has been branded by Washington as the extremist network's deadliest franchise, for most attacks on members of the security forces.
In late April, the army launched a ground offensive against AQAP in Shabwa and nearby Abyan provinces, both in the south.
The group is active across several parts of Yemen, having exploited the collapse of central authority during a 2011 uprising that ousted veteran president Ali Abdullah Saleh.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED