Suicide Bombers Kill At Least Six in Nigerian Mosques
Suicide bombers have attacked two mosques in northeast Nigeria's Yobe state killing at least six people and injuring several others, witnesses told AFP blaming the Boko Haram Islamists.
The first explosion rocked an open air mosque belonging to a Shiite Muslim sect in the Dogo Tebo area of the town of Potiskum around 7:55 PM (local time) leaving four people dead yesterday.
The second blast five minutes later at a mosque within the compound of the chief imam in the town's Anguwar Bolawa area killed at least two worshippers.
"A suicide bomber we believe was from Boko Haram blew himself up at the open air mosque used by Shiites which they name Saqafa shortly after saying their evening prayers there," witness Balarabe Dahiru said.
"We took four dismembered bodies of the victims to the hospital along with five others who were injured," said Dahiru who was sitting outside his house when the blast happened.
The body of the suicide bomber was left untouched by residents in protest, he said.
Resident Awwal Maikusa who gave a similar account said a second blast occurred five minutes later.
"They are obviously the handiwork of Boko Haram," Maikusa said of the two attacks.
"We were trying to deal with the suicide blast in our neighbourhood when a second explosion was heard which we later learnt was from the chief imam's compound," he said.
A suicide bomber went inside the mosque while people were engaged in their evening prayers, said Sheriff Abdullahi who lives in the area.
"There was a loud explosion moments after the suicide bomber entered the mosque," Abdullahi said.
"I saw two dead bodies whom I recognised being taken out of the mosque," he said.
The town was locked down by soldiers following the attacks, with residents ordered to remain indoors.
Potiskum, Yobe state's commercial hub, has been the scene of repeated deadly Boko Haram attacks in the last four years although they have become rarer in recent months.
- PM Inaugurates India's Longest Bridge in Assam
- Wreckage Of Missing Sukhoi Fighter Jet Found
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10