Suicide Bombers Kill At Least Six in Nigerian Mosques
Suicide bombers have attacked two mosques in northeast Nigeria's Yobe state killing at least six people and injuring several others, witnesses told AFP blaming the Boko Haram Islamists.
The first explosion rocked an open air mosque belonging to a Shiite Muslim sect in the Dogo Tebo area of the town of Potiskum around 7:55 PM (local time) leaving four people dead yesterday.
The second blast five minutes later at a mosque within the compound of the chief imam in the town's Anguwar Bolawa area killed at least two worshippers.
"A suicide bomber we believe was from Boko Haram blew himself up at the open air mosque used by Shiites which they name Saqafa shortly after saying their evening prayers there," witness Balarabe Dahiru said.
"We took four dismembered bodies of the victims to the hospital along with five others who were injured," said Dahiru who was sitting outside his house when the blast happened.
The body of the suicide bomber was left untouched by residents in protest, he said.
Resident Awwal Maikusa who gave a similar account said a second blast occurred five minutes later.
"They are obviously the handiwork of Boko Haram," Maikusa said of the two attacks.
"We were trying to deal with the suicide blast in our neighbourhood when a second explosion was heard which we later learnt was from the chief imam's compound," he said.
A suicide bomber went inside the mosque while people were engaged in their evening prayers, said Sheriff Abdullahi who lives in the area.
"There was a loud explosion moments after the suicide bomber entered the mosque," Abdullahi said.
"I saw two dead bodies whom I recognised being taken out of the mosque," he said.
The town was locked down by soldiers following the attacks, with residents ordered to remain indoors.
Potiskum, Yobe state's commercial hub, has been the scene of repeated deadly Boko Haram attacks in the last four years although they have become rarer in recent months.
FROM OUTLOOKterrorismNot a Pak-Afghan-bred radical, the new Islamic warrior could be a regular American guy, swayed by Al Qaeda,...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe second half of the month of Ramzan witnessed amore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESIn a major clampdown on Islamic radical groups, jumore from WIRES>>>
- Legendary Artist S.H. Raza Dies at 94
- Kashmir Unrest: Curfew Lifted From Four Districts
- Chennai: Search Continues for Missing IAF Plane
- Kohli Scores Double Ton as India Take Upper Hand
- Clinton Picks Senator Tim Kaine as VP Running Mate
- 'Lone' Munich Shooter Kills Nine, Commits Suicide
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Tilak Remembered on Centenary of 'Swaraj My Birthright' Slogan
- Obama Hits Out at Trump's Campaign Rhetoric
- India Makes First Contribution to UN Trust Fund
- Bihar: FIR Lodged in the Beating of Dalits in Muzaffarpur
- Democratic VP Pick Kaine a Friend of India: Indian-Americans
- MP: Three-Yr-Old Boy Falls into 150-Ft Deep Borewell
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED