Sugar Stocks Gained 8% Amid Govt Hiking Import Duty
Stocks of sugar companies gained as much as 8 per cent after the government today hiked import duty on both raw and refined sugar to 25 per cent from existing 15 per cent.
Shares of Dwarikesh Sugar Industries rallied 7.83 per cent, while Bajaj Hindusthan Ltd surged 5.32 per cent on the BSE.
Oudh Sugar Mills gained 4.64 per cent, Shree Renuka Sugars (4.44 per cent), Triveni Engineering & Industries (3.05 per cent) and Balrampur Chini Mills (2.21 per cent).
In a move that could lead to increase in sugar prices, the government today hiked the import duty on both raw and refined sugar to 25 per cent from the existing 15 per cent.
The increase in duty would make imports unviable and may lead to some jump in domestic sugar prices that could cause burden on consumers but would help revive the business of cash-starved mills who owe farmers around Rs 6,800 crore.
India has been importing sugar in small quantities taking advantage of lower global prices. According to the notification issued by the Central Board of Excise and Customs, import duty has been raised to 25 per cent on raw sugar and refined or white sugar.
Sugar mills are facing a cash crunch as domestic prices have slipped below the cost of production, hurting their profits.
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Racism Row After South Africa School Asks Girls to Straighten Hair
- Dana Majhi Takes Part in 'Padayatra' Organised by Congress
- NIA Summons Geelani's Elder Son for Questioning
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED