Sugar Stocks Gained 8% Amid Govt Hiking Import Duty
Stocks of sugar companies gained as much as 8 per cent after the government today hiked import duty on both raw and refined sugar to 25 per cent from existing 15 per cent.
Shares of Dwarikesh Sugar Industries rallied 7.83 per cent, while Bajaj Hindusthan Ltd surged 5.32 per cent on the BSE.
Oudh Sugar Mills gained 4.64 per cent, Shree Renuka Sugars (4.44 per cent), Triveni Engineering & Industries (3.05 per cent) and Balrampur Chini Mills (2.21 per cent).
In a move that could lead to increase in sugar prices, the government today hiked the import duty on both raw and refined sugar to 25 per cent from the existing 15 per cent.
The increase in duty would make imports unviable and may lead to some jump in domestic sugar prices that could cause burden on consumers but would help revive the business of cash-starved mills who owe farmers around Rs 6,800 crore.
India has been importing sugar in small quantities taking advantage of lower global prices. According to the notification issued by the Central Board of Excise and Customs, import duty has been raised to 25 per cent on raw sugar and refined or white sugar.
Sugar mills are facing a cash crunch as domestic prices have slipped below the cost of production, hurting their profits.
- CBSE Announces Class 12 Exam Results, Topper Scores 99.6%
- Curfew In Srinagar Day After Bhat Killed
- Police Reveal Photos Of Manchester Bomber
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10