Strong Quake Hits West Iran, 250 Injured: Media
A strong 6.1 magnitude earthquake struck the province of Ilam in western Iran today, injuring at least 250 people and causing extensive damage to buildings, Iranian media said.
The US Geological Survey, reporting the magnitude of the quake at 6.3, said it struck 36 kilometres (22 miles) southeast of the city of Abdanan, near the border with Iraq.
According to state television, the quake occurred at 7:02 am (local time) near the town of Mour-Mouri.
"Fortunately there have been no reports of deaths so far but there have been injuries and a great deal of material damage," a Red Cross official told the television.
The chief of the crisis committee for the area, Ahmad Karami, later said 250 people had been injured in the quake.
In the village of Mour-Mouri, a number of homes and public buildings were damaged, according to the official IRNA news agency.
It added that damage also occurred in eight nearby villages.
A number of people spent the night outside their homes after at least 44 smaller tremors struck the area yesterday, media reported.
Iran stands on several seismic fault lines.
In April last year, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck south-eastern Iran and neighbouring Pakistan, killing 40 people.
A massive quake in December 2003 struck the southern city of Bam, killing 26,000 people and destroying its ancient mud-built citadel.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10