Strong Quake Hits West Iran, 250 Injured: Media
A strong 6.1 magnitude earthquake struck the province of Ilam in western Iran today, injuring at least 250 people and causing extensive damage to buildings, Iranian media said.
The US Geological Survey, reporting the magnitude of the quake at 6.3, said it struck 36 kilometres (22 miles) southeast of the city of Abdanan, near the border with Iraq.
According to state television, the quake occurred at 7:02 am (local time) near the town of Mour-Mouri.
"Fortunately there have been no reports of deaths so far but there have been injuries and a great deal of material damage," a Red Cross official told the television.
The chief of the crisis committee for the area, Ahmad Karami, later said 250 people had been injured in the quake.
In the village of Mour-Mouri, a number of homes and public buildings were damaged, according to the official IRNA news agency.
It added that damage also occurred in eight nearby villages.
A number of people spent the night outside their homes after at least 44 smaller tremors struck the area yesterday, media reported.
Iran stands on several seismic fault lines.
In April last year, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck south-eastern Iran and neighbouring Pakistan, killing 40 people.
A massive quake in December 2003 struck the southern city of Bam, killing 26,000 people and destroying its ancient mud-built citadel.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBReportageDebt trapped Vijesh Chaturvedi of Rewa district inmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- 'One Nation One Tax' to Eliminate Corruption: Jaitley on GST
- Bangladeshi-Canadian Named as Dhaka Cafe Attack Mastermind
- Assam Flood Situation 'Grave And Challenging': Rajnath
- Karnataka CM's Son Dies of Pancreatitis in Belgium
- Clashes in Kashmir, Curfew Lifted in Many Areas
- Kashmir: Army Foils Infiltration Bid, Two Militants, Two Soldiers Killed
- Outlook Cover Story On RSS Trafficking Goes Viral
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Army Takes Possession of Adarsh Building
- Angul SP Injured in Clash Between BJD, BJP in Odisha
- Terrorists Like Burhan Wani Don't Deserve Second Chance: Deputy CM
- West Indies Reach 88 for 4 at Lunch vs India on Day 1
- 16 Killed in Texas Hot Air Balloon Crash
- Court Convicts Film Director Farooqui of Raping US Researcher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED