Strong 6.4-Magnitude Quake Jolts Central Chile: USGS
A strong 6.4-magnitude earthquake has jolted central Chile, officials said, though there were no immediate reports of fatalities or serious damage.
The quake struck at 6:32 pm local time yesterday (0002 IST today) about 108 kilometers (67 miles) northwest of the capital Santiago, at a depth of 35 kilometers, the US Geological Survey said.
The national emergency office ONEMI said the temblor shook Santiago and five other regions in the South American nation.
More than five million people live in the capital, and the quake shook buildings for 30-40 seconds, causing panic even in a country used to temblors.
"There have been some power outages but no reports of damage to buildings or infrastructure... Though this is still preliminary information," ONEMI chief Miguel Ortiz said.
The earthquake did not create a tsunami risk, according to the water and oceans service.
Chile is one of the most seismically active countries in the world, and is located in the so-called Ring of Fire area of the Pacific Ocean basin.
An 8.2-magnitude quake in northern Chile in April killed six people and forced a million to leave their homes in the region around Iquique.
And a February 27, 2010 quake that struck just off the coast of Chile's Maule region measured 8.8 in magnitude, making it one of the largest ever recorded.
It killed more than 500 people and inflicted an estimated USD 30 billion in damages.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBMumbai MusingsBefore one could celebrate the strong and satisfacmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- Pak's Top Court Upholds Death Penalty for Mentally-Ill Man
- Bombings Kill at Least 17 in Baghdad: Officials
- Debate Microphone Was Defective: Trump
- Ali Bongo Sworn In as Gabon President After Disputed Win
- Pak Lawmakers Adopt Landmark Hindu Marriage Bill
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED