Strength of Maoists Around 8,500: Govt
The government today said the cadre strength of the Maoists is around 8,500 and they have forged tactical understandings with some insurgent groups in the Northeast for procuring arms and ammunition.
"As per available reports, the estimated armed cadre strength of the Left Wing Extremist groups is around 8,500. However, their support base is in larger number," Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju informed Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
The minister said the Naxals were using sophisticated weapons like LMG, AK-47 etc. For attacks on security forces and notwithstanding some setbacks in recent times, the CPI(Maoist) retains its core armed strength and the capacity to launch spectacular attacks.
He said LWE groups recruit a large number of youth every year and per reports available, in 2013, these groups recruited around 433 cadres from the LWE affected states.
Rijiju said the banned CPI(Maoist) is trying to establish organisational bases in the Northeast with a view to forge relations with other insurgent groups to meet its military requirements and the Central government has alerted the state governments concerned.
"The CPI(Maoist) has developed close fraternal ties with Northeast insurgent groups like the Revolutionary People's Front, People's Liberation Army of Manipur, NSCN(IM) and ULFA. The outfit also forged tactical understanding with the RPF, PLA and NSCN(IM) for procuring arms and ammunition and imparting military, communication training to its cadres," he said.
- Former Punjab DGP K.P.S. Gill Dies At 82
- Wreckage Of Missing Sukhoi Fighter Jet Found
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10