Strength of Maoists Around 8,500: Govt
The government today said the cadre strength of the Maoists is around 8,500 and they have forged tactical understandings with some insurgent groups in the Northeast for procuring arms and ammunition.
"As per available reports, the estimated armed cadre strength of the Left Wing Extremist groups is around 8,500. However, their support base is in larger number," Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju informed Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
The minister said the Naxals were using sophisticated weapons like LMG, AK-47 etc. For attacks on security forces and notwithstanding some setbacks in recent times, the CPI(Maoist) retains its core armed strength and the capacity to launch spectacular attacks.
He said LWE groups recruit a large number of youth every year and per reports available, in 2013, these groups recruited around 433 cadres from the LWE affected states.
Rijiju said the banned CPI(Maoist) is trying to establish organisational bases in the Northeast with a view to forge relations with other insurgent groups to meet its military requirements and the Central government has alerted the state governments concerned.
"The CPI(Maoist) has developed close fraternal ties with Northeast insurgent groups like the Revolutionary People's Front, People's Liberation Army of Manipur, NSCN(IM) and ULFA. The outfit also forged tactical understanding with the RPF, PLA and NSCN(IM) for procuring arms and ammunition and imparting military, communication training to its cadres," he said.
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- Chinese Official Media Slams PM Modi for Balochistan Remarks
- Chopper Scam: Middleman Ready to Meet Indian Cops in Dubai
- Brussels Crime Lab Attacked to 'Destroy Evidence'
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED