Sri Lankan Navy Arrests 50 Indian Fishermen
50 fishermen from Nagapattinam and Karaikal have been arrested by Sri Lankan Navy personnel for allegedly fishing near the Lankan coast.
This is the second time this week that Indian fishermen have been arrested by the Lankan Navy.
The fishermen, who were arrested around midnight last night, have been taken to Kankesanthurai along with their five mechanised boats and two country boats, 'Q' branch Inspector Kennedy and fishermen's association secretary S Emirit told PTI.
The fishermen were arrested when they were fishing close to the Lankan coast, officials here said.
Joint Director of Fisheries Subburaj said they have also received information about the arrest.
On July 22, 38 fishermen from Kottaipattinam and Rameswaram were arrested by the Lankan Navy on charges of crossing the International Maritime Boundary Line.
Fishermen of Ramanathapuram district have been boycotting fishing since July 24 highlighting their demands including putting an end to frequent "arrests and harassment" by Sri Lankan Navy personnel.
Reiterating her government's "firm commitment to restore traditional fishing rights of Tamil Nadu fishermen in the Palk Bay and retrieval of Katchatheevu," Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had last week written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking the Centre's intervention in securing the release of the fishermen.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman