Sri Lankan Navy Arrests 50 Indian Fishermen
50 fishermen from Nagapattinam and Karaikal have been arrested by Sri Lankan Navy personnel for allegedly fishing near the Lankan coast.
This is the second time this week that Indian fishermen have been arrested by the Lankan Navy.
The fishermen, who were arrested around midnight last night, have been taken to Kankesanthurai along with their five mechanised boats and two country boats, 'Q' branch Inspector Kennedy and fishermen's association secretary S Emirit told PTI.
The fishermen were arrested when they were fishing close to the Lankan coast, officials here said.
Joint Director of Fisheries Subburaj said they have also received information about the arrest.
On July 22, 38 fishermen from Kottaipattinam and Rameswaram were arrested by the Lankan Navy on charges of crossing the International Maritime Boundary Line.
Fishermen of Ramanathapuram district have been boycotting fishing since July 24 highlighting their demands including putting an end to frequent "arrests and harassment" by Sri Lankan Navy personnel.
Reiterating her government's "firm commitment to restore traditional fishing rights of Tamil Nadu fishermen in the Palk Bay and retrieval of Katchatheevu," Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had last week written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking the Centre's intervention in securing the release of the fishermen.
FROM OUTLOOKInterviewGuarded by army commandos, the retired Sri Lankan General sits in his new war room, preparing for Sri...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBview From WASHINGTONForeign policy expert Leslie Gelb argued in 2010 tmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESEven as Sri Lankan army was on the verge of defeatmore from WIRES>>>
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia