'Spider-Man' Punches Police Officer in Times Square
A 25-year-old man dressed as Spider-Man has been arrested after badgering a woman tourist for a tip in Times Square here and then punching a police officer in the face.
The police officer was standing at his post when he witnessed a male, identified as Junior Bishop, dressed as Spider-Man take a photo with a man and woman, authorities said.
The woman then tried to give Bishop a dollar tip, which he allegedly refused. Police said the crime-fighting hero then put out his hand and told the woman he only accepts USD 5, USD 10, or USD 20.
Overhearing the exchange, the police officer told the woman she can donate whatever she wants.
At which point, Bishop told the officer to "Mind your own business," police said.
Authorities said Bishop continued to yell, curse and argue after the officer told him that while he may accept tips, he was not allowed to request money.
After the officer requested identification and Bishop could not provide any, he was placed under arrest, police said.
While the officer attempted to place Bishop under arrest, he allegedly broke free and punched the officer in the face, causing the officer swelling around his eye and a laceration to his face, CBS News reported.
Additional police officers arrived on the scene and were able to place Bishop into police custody.
The officer, who has been on the job for a year and a half, was taken to NYU Langone Medical Center where he was treated and released, police said.
Bishop is charged with assaulting a police officer in the second degree, resisting arrest, criminal mischief, and misconduct.
The incident comes on the heels of several other arrests of characters in Times Square.
In late June, a different Spider-Man was arrested for allegedly groping a New Yorker. In that same week, a completely different Spider-Man was convicted of harassing a woman in a Times Square spat.
There was also a recent reported brawl between two Statues of Liberty, a man dressed as Woody from Toy Story who was accused of forcibly groping women, and in April of 2013 a man dressed as the Cookie Monster was charged with endangering the welfare of a child after allegedly shoving a 2 and a half-year-old boy.
- Modi Government Gears Up To Counter China's OBOR
- Wreckage Of Missing Sukhoi Fighter Jet Found
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10