Smoke On The Water Encore. Bellandur Lake Is On Fire Again
Thick smoke enveloped Bellandur lake after a fire broke out when garbage strewn around it was set ablaze, a fire department official said today.
The incident triggered panic among motorists on the busy Sarjapur main road.
"Usually, a pile of garbage strewn around the lake is set on fire, but yesterday it caused a scare among residents and motorists as the smoke started billowing and surrounding the lake in the evening," K U Ramesh, Deputy Director at Karnataka Fire Department, said.
The fire was doused in half an hour, he said.
The area, for a while, was enveloped by huge clouds of smoke, he said.
Residents hit out at the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) officials for their "lackadaisical" attitude to stop dumping of garbage.
Karnataka State Pollution Control Board Chairman Lakshman said notices have been issued to the BBMP, Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewage Board and other agencies to stop the dumping. He also said the board is in the process of inspecting sewage treatment plants in the area.
The lake has been in news for the last one year for spillover of froth and toxic fumes.
- Rs 2000 Notes By 'Children's Bank Of India'
- Sutlej-Yamuna Row: SC Asks Punjab, Haryana To Maintain Order
- Amnesty Blames Trump In Global Rollback of Rights.
- US Plans To Deport Undocumented Immigrants
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- India's GDP Projected To Slow To 6.6 Percent Post-Demonetisation, Says IMF
- 'Name And Shame' Doctors Who Did Caesareans Without Medical Reasons, Says Maneka Gandhi
- Another Acronym After SCAM: Amit Shah Merges Congress, SP, BSP To Form KASAB
- Search Operation For Militants In Kashmir Called Off After Stone-Pelting
- Sutlej-Yamuna Canal Row: Supreme Court Asks Punjab, Haryana To Maintain Order
- Supreme Court Asks Google If Uploading Of Obscene Videos Can Be Stopped
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- In A First, CBI Carries Out Searches At Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Don't Endorse The 'Donkeys Of Gujarat', Akhilesh Tells Amitabh Bachchan
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman