Smoke On The Water Encore. Bellandur Lake Is On Fire Again
Thick smoke enveloped Bellandur lake after a fire broke out when garbage strewn around it was set ablaze, a fire department official said today.
The incident triggered panic among motorists on the busy Sarjapur main road.
"Usually, a pile of garbage strewn around the lake is set on fire, but yesterday it caused a scare among residents and motorists as the smoke started billowing and surrounding the lake in the evening," K U Ramesh, Deputy Director at Karnataka Fire Department, said.
The fire was doused in half an hour, he said.
The area, for a while, was enveloped by huge clouds of smoke, he said.
Residents hit out at the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) officials for their "lackadaisical" attitude to stop dumping of garbage.
Karnataka State Pollution Control Board Chairman Lakshman said notices have been issued to the BBMP, Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewage Board and other agencies to stop the dumping. He also said the board is in the process of inspecting sewage treatment plants in the area.
The lake has been in news for the last one year for spillover of froth and toxic fumes.
- Thousands March in London Against Brexit
- Top Al Qaeda Leader Killed In Afghanistan
- Shivaji's Statue To Trump China's Tallest
- EVM Tampering: AAP Writes to EC
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Will Break Limbs of Those Who Kill Cows, Says BJP MLA in UP
- CAG to Audit Fallout of Demonetisation, Says Shashi Kant Sharma
- Trump's Aide Compares IS Militants to Scurrying 'Cockroaches', Vows to Wipe Them Off The Face Of Earth
- Uber Grounds Self-Driving Cars After Arizona Crash
- Bangladesh: 6 Dead, 40 Injured in Attack Outside Militants' Hideout
- By 2021, 4 Out of 10 Jobs Would be Lost to Automation, Say Experts
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Ice-Cream Wars: Amul Defends TV Commercial, Says Hindustan Unilever Trying To Frighten It
- Why No Data on Old Currency Deposited, Is Modi Govt That Incompetent? Asks Yechury
- 22-Year-Old Disqualified From Police Recruitment For Wearing Wig To Raise Height
- As Airlines Ban Shiv Sena MP, Govt Says Law Doesn't Permit it