Smoke On The Water Encore. Bellandur Lake Is On Fire Again
Thick smoke enveloped Bellandur lake after a fire broke out when garbage strewn around it was set ablaze, a fire department official said today.
The incident triggered panic among motorists on the busy Sarjapur main road.
"Usually, a pile of garbage strewn around the lake is set on fire, but yesterday it caused a scare among residents and motorists as the smoke started billowing and surrounding the lake in the evening," K U Ramesh, Deputy Director at Karnataka Fire Department, said.
The fire was doused in half an hour, he said.
The area, for a while, was enveloped by huge clouds of smoke, he said.
Residents hit out at the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) officials for their "lackadaisical" attitude to stop dumping of garbage.
Karnataka State Pollution Control Board Chairman Lakshman said notices have been issued to the BBMP, Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewage Board and other agencies to stop the dumping. He also said the board is in the process of inspecting sewage treatment plants in the area.
The lake has been in news for the last one year for spillover of froth and toxic fumes.
- BJP Eases Out 4 Office-Bearers
- VIP Should Be Replaced With EPI: PM
- Yechury Not to Seek Re-Election
- Hafiz Saeed to Remain Under House Arrest
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Opposition Candidate for Presidential Polls Will Unite Parties Against BJP, Says Sharad Yadav
- Hafiz Saeed to Remain Under House Arrest for 90 Days More
- Factional Feud: BJP Eases Out 4 Office-Bearers in Karnataka
- DMK Slams Move to Carry Hindi Subtitles in Regional Films
- Aim To End Mindset Of VIP Culture, Says PM On Beacon Ban
- Govt Will Take Appropriate Decision on SC Order on Senkumar's Reinstatment, Says Kerala CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Prepare for 'Movement' If Exit Poll Results Come True, Says Kejriwal
- Sukhma Naxal Ambush Is An Act Of Cowardice, Says HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar
- Naxals Using Tribals As Human Shield, Govt to Review Anti-Naxal Strategy: Rajnath Singh
- 'Hafiz Saeed Not A Terrorist,' Pervez Musharraf Denies His Involvement in Mumbai Attacks