Slum Population Rose by 130 Lakh Between 2001 and 2011: Govt
Slum population in the country has increased by over 130 lakh between 2001 and 2011, the government told the Lok Sabha today.
The population of slum dwellers has increased from 52,371,589 in 2001 to 65,494,604 in 2011 and the number of towns which reported slum dwellers increased from 1,743 to 2,613 during the same period, Housing and Poverty Alleviation Minister Venkaiah Naidu said in a written reply.
He said Maharashtra tops the list with a slum population of over 118 lakh followed by the erstwhile undivided Andhra Pradesh (101 lakh), West Bengal (64 lakh), UP (62 lakh), Tamil Nadu (58 lakh), MP (57 lakh), Karnataka (33 lakh), Rajasthan (21 lakh), Chhattisgarh (19 lakh), Delhi (18 lakh), Gujarat (17 lakh), Haryana (16 lakh), Odisha (15.60 lakh), Punjab (14.60 lakh) and J&K (6.60 lakh).
Gujarat reported the highest decline in slum population (2,95,758) between 2001 and 2011 followed by Delhi (2.40 lakh), Maharashtra (1,27,520), Punjab (23,056), Haryana (18,812) and Chandigarh (11,990).
No slum population has been reported in Manipur, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu and Lakshdweep in 2011, Naidu said.
Arunachal Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Nagaland and Sikkim, which had reported no slums in 2001 Census, reported marginal slum dwellers in 2011.
- Former Punjab DGP K.P.S. Gill Dies At 82
- Wreckage Of Missing Sukhoi Fighter Jet Found
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10