Slum Population Rose by 130 Lakh Between 2001 and 2011: Govt
Slum population in the country has increased by over 130 lakh between 2001 and 2011, the government told the Lok Sabha today.
The population of slum dwellers has increased from 52,371,589 in 2001 to 65,494,604 in 2011 and the number of towns which reported slum dwellers increased from 1,743 to 2,613 during the same period, Housing and Poverty Alleviation Minister Venkaiah Naidu said in a written reply.
He said Maharashtra tops the list with a slum population of over 118 lakh followed by the erstwhile undivided Andhra Pradesh (101 lakh), West Bengal (64 lakh), UP (62 lakh), Tamil Nadu (58 lakh), MP (57 lakh), Karnataka (33 lakh), Rajasthan (21 lakh), Chhattisgarh (19 lakh), Delhi (18 lakh), Gujarat (17 lakh), Haryana (16 lakh), Odisha (15.60 lakh), Punjab (14.60 lakh) and J&K (6.60 lakh).
Gujarat reported the highest decline in slum population (2,95,758) between 2001 and 2011 followed by Delhi (2.40 lakh), Maharashtra (1,27,520), Punjab (23,056), Haryana (18,812) and Chandigarh (11,990).
No slum population has been reported in Manipur, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu and Lakshdweep in 2011, Naidu said.
Arunachal Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Nagaland and Sikkim, which had reported no slums in 2001 Census, reported marginal slum dwellers in 2011.
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Government To Launch 'Twitter Seva' To Address Public Grievances
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman