Sindhu Wins Bronze in Women's Singles
Crestfallen after suffering a heartbreaking semifinal loss, there was consolation for P V Sindhu as she won a bronze medal in the women's singles event of badminton competition in the 20th Commonwealth Games here today.
Touted to win the gold for India, Sindhu could not cross the last-four hurdle, going down fighting to Michelle Li of Canada 22-20 22-20. But the 19-year-old managed to regain her composure to beat Malaysia's Jing Yi Tee 23-21 21-9 to win the bronze for India in her first Commonwealth Games appearance at the Emirates Arena.
The disappointment of losing the semifinal was writ large on her face as Sindhu struggled with her strokes throughout the first game. She lost a lot of points at the nets to allow a tired Jing to claw back every time Sindhu moved ahead.
At the first break, Sindhu managed to lead 11-10 but the Malaysian was always breathing down her neck as they moved to 17-16 when Sindhu faltered with a forehand net shot and then hit long twice to hand over the lead to Jing.
However, Sindhu didn't give up and managed to wrest back control and eventually pocketed the first game when Jing hit wide.
After a pep talk from coach Pullela Gopichand, Sindhu found her bearings and the second game turned out to be a cakewalk as Jing struggled to move around the court while the Indian dominated with her array of strokes.
- Whole of J&K Belongs to India: Swaraj on Sharif's 'Delusional Kashmir Dream'
- Kashmir: Congress Decides Not to Meet Rajnath Singh
- Declare Blackmoney by Sept 30 or Face Action: PM
- 80 Dead as IS Claims Twin Blasts During Kabul Protest
- Chennai: Search for Missing IAF Plane Intensified, Parrikar Conducts Aerial Survey
- 'Lone' Munich Shooter Kills Nine in Mall Rampage, Commits Suicide
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Drunk Driver Acted Like Suicidal Human Bomb, Says Court
- 225 Killed or Missing in China Rains, 2.5 Lakh People Trapped
- SE Asia Bloc Pushes for South China Sea Breakthrough
- India Bowl Out West Indies for 243, Take 323-Run Lead
- Brazil Police Arrest Man Suspected of Olympics Attack Plans
- WB: 17-Year-Old Hit by Broken Liquor Bottle During Argument, Dies
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED