Sikh Hit by Pickup Truck in US After Alleged Racial Slur
A 29-year old Sikh man is in critical condition after he was hit by a pickup truck here and dragged nearly 30 feet following an argument between him and the driver who allegedly hurled racist slur at him and his friend.
Sandeep Singh, father of two, was with his friend Baldey Singh when he was hit by a pickup truck late Tuesday night. Sandeep is in critical condition at the hospital.
Rights group Sikh Coalition has called for a hate crime investigation into the incident.
Baldey told ABC News that the two men had just finished dinner at a restaurant and were standing on the street when the driver of the truck pulled up near them.
Baldey said the driver yelled a racial slur at him and his friends. Sandeep, annoyed at the driver, hit the truck with his hand. The driver pulled forward, stopped, and got out of the vehicle, holding something in his hand. Baldey recalls that they became "concerned, afraid, and felt threatened" by the driver's behaviour.
The two men and the driver got into an argument following which the driver got back in his truck. However, Sandeep wanted the man to stop and call the police. Sandeep then stepped in front of the pickup truck when the driver started his truck and ran over him.
The report said Sandeep was dragged roughly 30 feet down the street and his body finally came loose from the truck, which kept on going.
Footage from the surveillance camera on the street showed the men getting into an argument and then a few minutes Sandeep trying to stop the pick-up truck from fleeing the scene. He is then seeing being hit by the truck and dragged some distance.
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- DU Professor Injured in Violence Hospitalised
- Fire Breaks Out At The Times Of India Building In New Delhi
- Kerala CM Retracts His Remark Denying Conspiracy in Assault on Actress
- Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Amidst Tiff With Media
- Pakistan Rangers Kill 4, Detain Over 600 Terror Suspects In 200 Search Operations
- Maharashtra: Nearly 350 Students In Custody,18 Others Arrested After Army Recruitment Board Papers Leaked
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan