Shortage of 187.80 Lakh Dwelling Units in Urban Areas
There is a shortage of 187.80 lakh dwelling units in urban areas in the country with Uttar Pradesh topping the list, the Rajya Sabha was informed today.
"Our Ministry is holding consultations with all the stakeholders on the scheme of providing 'Housing For All' by 2022," Housing and Poverty Alleviation Minister Venkaiah Naidu said in a written reply.
He said a Technical Group has estimated urban housing shortage of 187.80 lakh dwelling units in urban areas of the country.
The Minister said 2,20,741 houses have been built in urban areas during the last 3 years under different programmes like Jawaharlal Nehru Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM), Rajiv Awas Yojana (RAY) and Affordable Housing in Partnership.
Uttar Pradesh tops the list with urban housing shortage of 30 lakh units followed by Maharashtra (19 lakhs), West Bengal (13 lakhs), erstwhile Andhra Pradesh (13 lakhs), Tamil Nadu (12 lakhs), Bihar (12 lakhs), Rajasthan (11 lakhs), Karnataka (10 lakhs), Gujarat (9 lakhs) and Jharkhand (6 lakh)
Naidu said that 70.63 per cent of urban households in the country have access to tap water supply within, near and away from their premises.
Another 20.76 per cent households draw water from tube wells and hand pumps while the rest from other sources.
- Aziz Says 'Insufficient Evidence' On Indian Spy, Pak Denies
- Triple Talaq 'Cruel' And 'Most Demeaning', Says Allahabad HC
- Stranded Tourists On Andaman & Nicobar Islands Safe: Rajnath Singh
- 'Devil Of The Year': How Twitter Is Reacting To Latest TIME Magazine Cover
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Modi Is Now Seen As Messiah Of Poor And Honest: BJP
- Old Notes Invalid For Rail, Metro, Bus Tickets From Dec 10
- India To Become 'Major Defence Partner' Of US
- Churning On In AIADMK Over Who Will Step Into Amma's Shoes
- Demonetisation Is An 'Effective Step' In Curbing Corruption, Says Arvind Panagaria
- PM Singularly Responsible For Economic Mess: CPI(M)
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED