Shortage of 187.80 Lakh Dwelling Units in Urban Areas
There is a shortage of 187.80 lakh dwelling units in urban areas in the country with Uttar Pradesh topping the list, the Rajya Sabha was informed today.
"Our Ministry is holding consultations with all the stakeholders on the scheme of providing 'Housing For All' by 2022," Housing and Poverty Alleviation Minister Venkaiah Naidu said in a written reply.
He said a Technical Group has estimated urban housing shortage of 187.80 lakh dwelling units in urban areas of the country.
The Minister said 2,20,741 houses have been built in urban areas during the last 3 years under different programmes like Jawaharlal Nehru Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM), Rajiv Awas Yojana (RAY) and Affordable Housing in Partnership.
Uttar Pradesh tops the list with urban housing shortage of 30 lakh units followed by Maharashtra (19 lakhs), West Bengal (13 lakhs), erstwhile Andhra Pradesh (13 lakhs), Tamil Nadu (12 lakhs), Bihar (12 lakhs), Rajasthan (11 lakhs), Karnataka (10 lakhs), Gujarat (9 lakhs) and Jharkhand (6 lakh)
Naidu said that 70.63 per cent of urban households in the country have access to tap water supply within, near and away from their premises.
Another 20.76 per cent households draw water from tube wells and hand pumps while the rest from other sources.
- SC Seeks EC's Response
- Indian Woman, Son Found Murdered in US, Probe Launched
- Should Sidhu Be Allowed to Multitask?
- Aadhaar Not Needed For Mid-Day Meals
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Govt Staff in Bareilly Barred From Wearing Jeans, T-Shirts at Work
- Release Funds to State Bodies for Holding Matches: SC Tells BCCI
- 1984 Riots: SC Asks Govt to Give Files of 199 'Closed' Cases
- Counter-Terrorist Operations Claimed 92 Soldiers in J&K Since 2015: Govt
- PM Modi Calls Up Theresa May Over Terror Attack
- Dr Randeep Guleria Appointed New Director of AIIMS-Delhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Yogi Adityanath Makes Surprise Visit To Police Station In Lucknow
- Plea Against Kejriwal: Court Raps Police for Indecisiveness
- After Shiv Sena MP's Slipper Assault, Air India Mulling Preparing No-Fly List for Unruly Passengers
- With Vikalp, Passengers on Wait List Can Tavel in Rajdhani at Mail, Express Fare