Shiv Sena Flays Justice Katju Over Anti-Sachin Remarks
Attacking Press Council of India Chairman Justice Markandey Katju for his reported remarks about conferring Bharat Ratna on cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar, Shiv Sena today questioned the work done by the media watchdog under his stewardship.
Amid the row over continued absence of Tendulkar and Rekha from Rajya Sabha, Katju had reportedly said awarding Bharat Ratna to the cricketer and nominating the Bollywood actress to Parliament was a "disgrace to the country."
"Sachin and Rekha did not go to the government asking to be nominated to Rajya Sabha. The President nominated them, honouring sports and arts," an editorial in Sena mouthpiece Saamana said.
"Justice Katju is occupying an important post even after retirement. Even he cannot tell which work of the Council progressed during his tenure," the editorial said.
"(Hockey legend) Major Dhyan Chand should have got the Bharat Ratna. Both Sachin and Major Dhyan Chand could have been given Bharat Ratna at the same time, but the UPA government did not do it. That is the fault of those in power, but what is interesting is that it has caused stomach upset for Katju after so many months," the editorial said.
It said earlier Bharat Ratnas were given to state-level politicians with no special achievement. "We do not wish to name them today. Did not the Bharat Ratna get insulted then. So how come Sachin getting it became disgrace for India?" it said.
"What has been the contribution of Tendulkar and Rekha in the Rajya Sabha ? it is a big zero. Then why were they made M.P.S?," Katju had reportedly said in a recent twitter post.
"Awarding Bharat Ratna to Tendulkar & making Rekha M.P. Was a disgrace to our country. Bharat Ratna shud have been awarded to Subramania," he had said.
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordI want to expresse shock and protest the traffickimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Sent to Judicial Custody in Wife's Suicide Case
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'