Shiv Sena Flays Justice Katju Over Anti-Sachin Remarks
Attacking Press Council of India Chairman Justice Markandey Katju for his reported remarks about conferring Bharat Ratna on cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar, Shiv Sena today questioned the work done by the media watchdog under his stewardship.
Amid the row over continued absence of Tendulkar and Rekha from Rajya Sabha, Katju had reportedly said awarding Bharat Ratna to the cricketer and nominating the Bollywood actress to Parliament was a "disgrace to the country."
"Sachin and Rekha did not go to the government asking to be nominated to Rajya Sabha. The President nominated them, honouring sports and arts," an editorial in Sena mouthpiece Saamana said.
"Justice Katju is occupying an important post even after retirement. Even he cannot tell which work of the Council progressed during his tenure," the editorial said.
"(Hockey legend) Major Dhyan Chand should have got the Bharat Ratna. Both Sachin and Major Dhyan Chand could have been given Bharat Ratna at the same time, but the UPA government did not do it. That is the fault of those in power, but what is interesting is that it has caused stomach upset for Katju after so many months," the editorial said.
It said earlier Bharat Ratnas were given to state-level politicians with no special achievement. "We do not wish to name them today. Did not the Bharat Ratna get insulted then. So how come Sachin getting it became disgrace for India?" it said.
"What has been the contribution of Tendulkar and Rekha in the Rajya Sabha ? it is a big zero. Then why were they made M.P.S?," Katju had reportedly said in a recent twitter post.
"Awarding Bharat Ratna to Tendulkar & making Rekha M.P. Was a disgrace to our country. Bharat Ratna shud have been awarded to Subramania," he had said.
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBBook ExtractIt was the last night of the twentieth century andmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- Absconding UP BJP Leader Dayashankar Singh Arrested From Bihar
- Gurgaon: Thousands Stranded on NH-8 Due to Waterlogging, Heavy Rains
- Govt Lists GST Bill For Consideration in Rajya Sabha
- One San Diego Cop Killed, Another Wounded in Shooting: Police
- Protestors Defy Curfew, Clash With Security Forces
- Indian National Not Executed in Indonesia: Swaraj
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Salman Poaching Case: Key Witness Demands Police Protection
- Pregnant Woman Crushed to Death by Bus in Andhra
- Need to Have Dialogue With People of Kashmir: V.K. Singh
- Odisha: BJD MLA, Party Workers Thrash BJP Supporters, Case Registered
- Eight Held for Protests During BSP Leader Siddiqui's Visit in UP
- Judge Recuses From Hearing BJP MLA's Bail Petition
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED