Shiv Sena Flays Justice Katju Over Anti-Sachin Remarks
Attacking Press Council of India Chairman Justice Markandey Katju for his reported remarks about conferring Bharat Ratna on cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar, Shiv Sena today questioned the work done by the media watchdog under his stewardship.
Amid the row over continued absence of Tendulkar and Rekha from Rajya Sabha, Katju had reportedly said awarding Bharat Ratna to the cricketer and nominating the Bollywood actress to Parliament was a "disgrace to the country."
"Sachin and Rekha did not go to the government asking to be nominated to Rajya Sabha. The President nominated them, honouring sports and arts," an editorial in Sena mouthpiece Saamana said.
"Justice Katju is occupying an important post even after retirement. Even he cannot tell which work of the Council progressed during his tenure," the editorial said.
"(Hockey legend) Major Dhyan Chand should have got the Bharat Ratna. Both Sachin and Major Dhyan Chand could have been given Bharat Ratna at the same time, but the UPA government did not do it. That is the fault of those in power, but what is interesting is that it has caused stomach upset for Katju after so many months," the editorial said.
It said earlier Bharat Ratnas were given to state-level politicians with no special achievement. "We do not wish to name them today. Did not the Bharat Ratna get insulted then. So how come Sachin getting it became disgrace for India?" it said.
"What has been the contribution of Tendulkar and Rekha in the Rajya Sabha ? it is a big zero. Then why were they made M.P.S?," Katju had reportedly said in a recent twitter post.
"Awarding Bharat Ratna to Tendulkar & making Rekha M.P. Was a disgrace to our country. Bharat Ratna shud have been awarded to Subramania," he had said.
- Suicide Bomber Responsible For Manchester Blast
- Police Confirm Probe Still On Against Major Who Used Civilian As Human-Shield
- Manchester Attack: 'Broken.. I'm Sorry', Says Pop Singer Ariana Whose Concert Was Hit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10