Sheila Dikshit Meets Prez, Home Min Amid Reports of Her Removal
Kerala Governor Sheila Dikshit today met President Pranab Mukherjee and Home Minister Rajnath Singh amid indications that she may put in her papers if shunted out of the southern state.
Dikshit's meetings came a day after her Maharashtra counterpart K Sankaranarayanan quit, protesting his transfer to Mizoram. Five UPA-appointed Governors have already resigned after being nudged by the NDA government.
Sources close to 76-year-old Dikshit, who took charge of Kerala Raj Bhawan only five months back, indicated that the former Delhi Chief Minister may put in her papers as she was under pressure to do so. However, when asked whether she will resign, Dikshit refused to give a direct answer. "You will know, when I take any such decision," she told PTI.
Dikshit, who served as Delhi Chief Minister from 1998 to 2013, was appointed Kerala governor in March just before the model code of conduct came into force for the Lok Sabha polls.
During her 15-minute meeting with the Home Minister, Dikshit is understood to have discussed about her continuation in Thiruvananthapuram Raj Bhavan, sources said.
She is said to have refused to quit after the NDA government had allegedly nudged her to resign.
There have been reports that suggested that the former Delhi Chief Minister may be transferred to a state in the Northeast.
After meeting Singh, Dikshit met the President. However, there was no official word on what transpired in the meeting. "I try to meet the President whenever I am in Delhi," Dikshit said.
Yesterday, Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan resigned after he was transferred to Mizoram for the remainder of his tenure till 2017.
Earlier, the NDA government had transferred Kamla Beniwal as Mizoram Governor from Gujarat Raj Bhawan and when she refused to resign, she was sacked three months before the end of her tenure in October.
As Gujarat Governor, Beniwal had a running battle with Narendra Modi when he was the state's Chief Minister.
Virendra Kataria, a former Congress leader, was also sacked as Puducherry Lieutenant Governor last month.
Five other Governors -- M K Narayanan (West Bengal), Ashwani Kumar (Nagaland), B L Joshi (UP), B V Wanchoo (Goa) and Shekhar Dutt (Chhattisgarh) had put in their papers apparently after they were telephoned by the Union Home Secretary.
Uttrakhand Governor Aziz Qureshi has challenged Modi government's moves to ease him out of office, bringing the controversy over removal of UPA-appointed Governors under judicial scanner.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman