Sharif to Meet Army Chief as Political Crisis Aggravates
Pakistan's powerful army chief General Raheel Sharif is expected to meet Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif today at the PM House here to discuss the political crisis that has triggered violent clashes in the national capital, leaving three persons dead and over 550 injured.
The army chief would take the prime minister into confidence over the discussions held during the corps commanders meeting last evening which was called in over the prevailing political crisis, Dawn newspaper reported.
Both Nawaz and Gen Sharif are expected to chalk out a strategy to resolve the current impasse.
The meeting will likely have a serious bearing on the prevailing scenario as it comes a day after the corps commanders affirmed their support to democracy.
The generals, who have ruled Pakistan for more than half of its history since independence from Britain in 1947, said that the "situation should be resolved politically without wasting any time and without recourse to violent means".
FROM OUTLOOKDefenceWith service chiefs increasingly at the mercy of bureaucrats and dwindling budgets, the country's defence preparedness needs to...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionTom Engelhardt addresses the graduates of 2016 fromore from WEB>>>
FROM WIREST V Parasuram Washington, July 23 (PTI) Diffemore from WIRES>>>
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Yashvardhan Sinha Appointed India's High Commissioner to UK
- BSF Orders More Non-Lethal Weapons for Use at Bangladesh Border
- Pathankot on High Alert, Search Operation Launched
- Curfew Relaxed for Six Hours in Kishtwar District of J&K
- India Confronts Pak Envoy With Proof of Uri Attack's Cross Border Origins
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED