Sharif Refuses to Resign or Go on Leave
Embattled Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif today said he will neither resign nor go on leave, even as anti-government protesters led by Imran Khan and Tahirul Qadri continue to mount pressure on him to step down.
Addressing a meeting of leaders of political parties here, Nawaz said he would not allow to set a precedent under which a few people make hostage mandate of millions of people.
"We have rule of Constitution here and we will not allow any one to abrogate it," Express News quoted Nawaz as saying.
Following the meeting a joint declaration pointed out that future of Pakistan is linked with democracy and any deviation can be dangerous for federation of Pakistan.
The leaders expressed their firm resolve that they stand by the Prime Minister in the struggle to defend the democracy.
All parliamentary parties decided to become party to the petition filed in the Supreme Court for supremacy of the Parliament, Radio Pakistan reported.
The leaders strongly condemned attacks on the Parliament, Prime Minister's House and PTV.
"These attacks are attacks on democracy and state," they said.
Leader of the Opposition in the Senate declared that if someone tried to besiege the Prime Minister House then political leadership would stay with the Prime Minister in the PM House.
The meeting condemned irresponsible role played by a section of media trying to create misunderstanding between institutions.
The meeting was attended by Syed Khursheed Shah, Mahmood Khan Achakzai, Maulana Fazlur Rehman, Ijazul Haq, Babar Khan Ghauri, Dr Farooq Sattar, Aftab Ahmad Khan Sherpao, Mir Hasil Bizenjo, Haji Adeel, Haji Ghulam Ahmad Bilour, Abbas Khan Afridi and Ghazi Gulab Jamal.
Pakistan Awami Tehreek chief Tahirul Qadri and Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf chairman Imran Khan are agitating since August 14 against alleged rigging during the last year's general elections.
The political crisis has triggered violent clashes in Islamabad, leaving three persons dead and over 550 injured.
- No Extension for Kumble, BCCI Looks For Head Coach
- 4 Women Gangraped, Man Shot Dead in UP's Bulandshahr
- Fadnavis Escapes Unhurt After Chopper Crash In Latur
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10