Sexual Harassment Complaint Against Two JNU Students
A sexual harassment complaint has been filed with the gender sensitisation committee of the prestigious Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) against two students holding positions in the university students' union.
The complaint was filed with the university's Gender Sensitisation Committee against Sexual Harassment (GSCASH) against JNUSU President Akbar Chawdhary and joint secretary Sarfaraz Hamid on July 24.
The issue came to light yesterday after posters came up in university premises through which the two student leaders denied charges of sexual harassment.
"We would like to inform the student community that a complaint in GSCASH has been filed against us. We were informed of this complaint on July 24 and were shocked by it," a joint statement released by Chawdhary and Hamid said.
"If the GSCASH takes up the complaint for enquiry, we will step down from our posts in the JNUSU and our organisation and cooperate fully with the enquiry," it said.
"In keeping with those rules, procedures and principles that we all hold dear, we are bound to engage in public discussion regarding the complaint or put forward a public defence in any way," the statement said.
Meanwhile, members of the GSCASH have remain tight-lipped about the issue. However, a GSCASH member said a committee would be set up to look into the case.
"There will be a complaint screening committee meeting this week and subsequently, probe will be taken further," the member said.
- Absconding UP BJP Leader Dayashankar Singh Arrested From Bihar
- Gurgaon: Thousands Stranded on NH-8 Due to Waterlogging, Heavy Rains
- Govt Lists GST Bill For Consideration in Rajya Sabha
- Two Police Officers Shot at in San Diego: Police Department
- Curfew, Restrictions Re-Imposed in Kashmir
- Indian National Accused of Drug Smuggling Not Executed in Indonesia: Swaraj
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- MPs Demand Govt Response on Bank Strike in Rajya Sabha
- Lack of Governance in Punjab: Amarinder Singh
- Taking Steps to Address Population Explosion: Govt to HC
- Rajnath Speaks to J&K CM, Discusses Kashmir Situation
- No Bilateral Meeting With Pak Leaders During Rajnath's Visit: MEA
- Singaporean Detained Over ISIS Activities
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED