Seven Fishermen Missing, All Trawlers Traced in Bay of Bengal
All 40 trawlers which went missing in the Bay of Bengal following a storm were traced today, but two of them capsized leaving seven fishermen missing, officials said.
Thirty trawlers are taking shelter in Odisha's Dhamra port area while 10 others are safe in West Midnapore's coastal area, Kiran Lal Das, Assistant Director of Fisheries Department, told PTI.
He said that all trawlers were now returning to Kakdwip in South 24-Parganas district after they were lost in the sea last evening during a storm.
Two of the trawlers 'Suryanarayan' and 'Maharudra' had capsized 10 km away from Jambu Dwip.
"Seven fishermen are still missing but all others are rescued. Efforts are on trace them," the official said.
The Coast Guard had led the operation to locate the trawlers, Sundarbans Development Minister Manturam Pakhira said.
The trawlers, each carrying about 16 fishermen, had gone to the sea for fishing a few days ago, but contact between them and a liaison unit of the Fishermen Association at Kakdwip snapped during the storm last night, the Association Secretary Jaykrishna Halder said.
The rescued fishermen were hospitalised, he said.
FROM OUTLOOKProfileRupali Repale of Mumbai becomes the youngest girl to swim six of the world's seven straits...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBHyderabad BluesAt the beginning of every school term, parents acrmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESA total of 343 Indian fishermen are currently detamore from WIRES>>>
- SC Allows Marine Latorre to Stay Back in Italy
- Don't Behave Like Lords, 'Fall in Line': SC Tells BCCI
- Day After Stoning of Saamna Office in Maharashtra, Cartoonist Expresses Regret
- Former Israeli President Shimon Peres Dies at 93
- Pak Approaches World Bank Amid Reports of India Revoking Indus Water Treaty
- Most SAARC Members Join India, Pull Out of Summit in Pakistan
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- MH17 Probe 'Biased', Moscow 'Disappointed': Foreign Ministry
- NIA Gets Custody of PoK Duo Who Facilitated Uri Attack
- Sahara Group Has Taken Us for a Ride: SC
- Pakistani Singer Shafqat Amanat Ali's Concert in Bengaluru Cancelled
- Idols of Durga Vandalised in Bangladesh
- Kashmiri Student Booked For Sedition Over 'Anti-National' Post
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED