Seven Fishermen Missing, All Trawlers Traced in Bay of Bengal
All 40 trawlers which went missing in the Bay of Bengal following a storm were traced today, but two of them capsized leaving seven fishermen missing, officials said.
Thirty trawlers are taking shelter in Odisha's Dhamra port area while 10 others are safe in West Midnapore's coastal area, Kiran Lal Das, Assistant Director of Fisheries Department, told PTI.
He said that all trawlers were now returning to Kakdwip in South 24-Parganas district after they were lost in the sea last evening during a storm.
Two of the trawlers 'Suryanarayan' and 'Maharudra' had capsized 10 km away from Jambu Dwip.
"Seven fishermen are still missing but all others are rescued. Efforts are on trace them," the official said.
The Coast Guard had led the operation to locate the trawlers, Sundarbans Development Minister Manturam Pakhira said.
The trawlers, each carrying about 16 fishermen, had gone to the sea for fishing a few days ago, but contact between them and a liaison unit of the Fishermen Association at Kakdwip snapped during the storm last night, the Association Secretary Jaykrishna Halder said.
The rescued fishermen were hospitalised, he said.
- Congress Bastion Amethi Goes To Polls
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'You Want To Make Universities Laboratories For Separatist Experiments?' Naidu Asks Congress, Left
- Madras High Court Exempts Class Xth Non-Tamil Students From Writing Examination In Tamil
- Banned SIMI Chief And 10 Others Given Life Imprisonment In Sedition Case
- Airtel Removes Roaming Charges on Calls, Data
- Now, BJP MP Pratap Simha Compares Kargil Martyr's Daughter With Dawood Ibrahim
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events