Seven Fishermen Missing, All Trawlers Traced in Bay of Bengal
All 40 trawlers which went missing in the Bay of Bengal following a storm were traced today, but two of them capsized leaving seven fishermen missing, officials said.
Thirty trawlers are taking shelter in Odisha's Dhamra port area while 10 others are safe in West Midnapore's coastal area, Kiran Lal Das, Assistant Director of Fisheries Department, told PTI.
He said that all trawlers were now returning to Kakdwip in South 24-Parganas district after they were lost in the sea last evening during a storm.
Two of the trawlers 'Suryanarayan' and 'Maharudra' had capsized 10 km away from Jambu Dwip.
"Seven fishermen are still missing but all others are rescued. Efforts are on trace them," the official said.
The Coast Guard had led the operation to locate the trawlers, Sundarbans Development Minister Manturam Pakhira said.
The trawlers, each carrying about 16 fishermen, had gone to the sea for fishing a few days ago, but contact between them and a liaison unit of the Fishermen Association at Kakdwip snapped during the storm last night, the Association Secretary Jaykrishna Halder said.
The rescued fishermen were hospitalised, he said.
FROM OUTLOOKProfileRupali Repale of Mumbai becomes the youngest girl to swim six of the world's seven straits...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBHyderabad BluesAt the beginning of every school term, parents acrmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESA total of 343 Indian fishermen are currently detamore from WIRES>>>
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Sent to Judicial Custody in Wife's Suicide Case
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'