Seven Fishermen Missing, All Trawlers Traced in Bay of Bengal
All 40 trawlers which went missing in the Bay of Bengal following a storm were traced today, but two of them capsized leaving seven fishermen missing, officials said.
Thirty trawlers are taking shelter in Odisha's Dhamra port area while 10 others are safe in West Midnapore's coastal area, Kiran Lal Das, Assistant Director of Fisheries Department, told PTI.
He said that all trawlers were now returning to Kakdwip in South 24-Parganas district after they were lost in the sea last evening during a storm.
Two of the trawlers 'Suryanarayan' and 'Maharudra' had capsized 10 km away from Jambu Dwip.
"Seven fishermen are still missing but all others are rescued. Efforts are on trace them," the official said.
The Coast Guard had led the operation to locate the trawlers, Sundarbans Development Minister Manturam Pakhira said.
The trawlers, each carrying about 16 fishermen, had gone to the sea for fishing a few days ago, but contact between them and a liaison unit of the Fishermen Association at Kakdwip snapped during the storm last night, the Association Secretary Jaykrishna Halder said.
The rescued fishermen were hospitalised, he said.
- Suicide Bomber Responsible For Manchester Blast
- Sukhoi Fighter Jet Goes Missing Near Tezpur in Assam
- Ex-Congress MP Naveen Jindal Summoned As Accused In Coal-Scam Case
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10