Seven Arrested in China for Forcing Children to Donate Blood
Seven people have been arrested in China in connection with a scandal in which school children as young as ten were forced to donate blood. The suspects include Huang, deputy chief of a blood centre run by Lanzhou Institute of Biological Products in Gansu province, and six unemployed men.
The company is one of China's largest producer of blood products. Huang said he offered 50 yuan (about USD 8) in cash to first-time donors at the centre, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Encouraged by the prospects of the reward, Huang's friend Zhang and some other people known to him took primary and secondary school students to the centre by force and pocketed the money themselves, according to an unnamed official with the public security bureau in Liangzhou District of Wuwei.
At least eight students aged from 10 to 16, were forced to donate blood at least once a month for seven months. Each time 600 cubic centimetres of blood was taken, three times the average amount for voluntary donors, the official said.
The gang earned an illegal income of 6,250 yuan. The suspects always presented false ID cards at the centre, pretending the donors were adults, he said.
The children were beaten if they did not cooperate and the scam was uncovered when one boy sought his parents' help after being beaten. His parents said he looked sick and pale.
In China, the legal age for blood donation is from 18 to 55. Blood centres are required to double-check the donor's identity before taking blood.
- Indian Origin Punjabi Bus Driver Burnt to Death in Australia
- SC Dismisses Petition, Says Armed Forces Answerable To Government
- Fifteen Pakistan Rangers Killed In BSF's Retaliatory Fire In The Past Week
- Judges Selection: SC Slams Centre for Bringing Courts to a Grinding Halt
- US Charges 61 People in Multi-Million Dollar Indian Call Center Scam
- Pak Violates Ceasefire Along LoC in Jammu, Rajouri, Kathua, Girl Injured
- Daily Curator: While India Plays Spy-Spy With Pakistan, China Issues Gentle Reminder
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- India Third in Terror Deaths After ISIS-Boko Haram Areas: SC Told
- War No Option, Pak Should Take Initiative for Peace: Mehbooba
- Pak Army Says No Soldiers Killed in Firing at Border
- DND Flyway onnecting Noida to Delhi to Remain Toll Free: SC
- Swamy Asks PM to Form Multi-Agency SIT to Probe Tatas
- Northern Ireland Rejects Brexit Court Challenge
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED