Seven Arrested in China for Forcing Children to Donate Blood
Seven people have been arrested in China in connection with a scandal in which school children as young as ten were forced to donate blood. The suspects include Huang, deputy chief of a blood centre run by Lanzhou Institute of Biological Products in Gansu province, and six unemployed men.
The company is one of China's largest producer of blood products. Huang said he offered 50 yuan (about USD 8) in cash to first-time donors at the centre, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Encouraged by the prospects of the reward, Huang's friend Zhang and some other people known to him took primary and secondary school students to the centre by force and pocketed the money themselves, according to an unnamed official with the public security bureau in Liangzhou District of Wuwei.
At least eight students aged from 10 to 16, were forced to donate blood at least once a month for seven months. Each time 600 cubic centimetres of blood was taken, three times the average amount for voluntary donors, the official said.
The gang earned an illegal income of 6,250 yuan. The suspects always presented false ID cards at the centre, pretending the donors were adults, he said.
The children were beaten if they did not cooperate and the scam was uncovered when one boy sought his parents' help after being beaten. His parents said he looked sick and pale.
In China, the legal age for blood donation is from 18 to 55. Blood centres are required to double-check the donor's identity before taking blood.
- CBSE Announces Class 12 Exam Results, Topper Scores 99.6%
- Curfew In Srinagar Day After Bhat Killed
- Police Reveal Photos Of Manchester Bomber
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10