Seven Arrested in China for Forcing Children to Donate Blood
Seven people have been arrested in China in connection with a scandal in which school children as young as ten were forced to donate blood. The suspects include Huang, deputy chief of a blood centre run by Lanzhou Institute of Biological Products in Gansu province, and six unemployed men.
The company is one of China's largest producer of blood products. Huang said he offered 50 yuan (about USD 8) in cash to first-time donors at the centre, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Encouraged by the prospects of the reward, Huang's friend Zhang and some other people known to him took primary and secondary school students to the centre by force and pocketed the money themselves, according to an unnamed official with the public security bureau in Liangzhou District of Wuwei.
At least eight students aged from 10 to 16, were forced to donate blood at least once a month for seven months. Each time 600 cubic centimetres of blood was taken, three times the average amount for voluntary donors, the official said.
The gang earned an illegal income of 6,250 yuan. The suspects always presented false ID cards at the centre, pretending the donors were adults, he said.
The children were beaten if they did not cooperate and the scam was uncovered when one boy sought his parents' help after being beaten. His parents said he looked sick and pale.
In China, the legal age for blood donation is from 18 to 55. Blood centres are required to double-check the donor's identity before taking blood.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- BMC: Congress’s Gurudas Kamat Opposes Tie Up With Shiv Sena
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman