Sensex Opens Below 24,000-Level, Nifty Cracks 7,300-Mark
The benchmark BSE Sensex extended losses for a second straight day and cracked below 24,000-mark by tumbling almost 374 points in early deals on sustained capital outflows by foreign funds and selling by retail investors.
There were no surprises on the growth front as a government data yesterday showed that Indian economy grew 7.3 per cent in October-December quarter of 2015-16.
Deprecating rupee against the dollar also influenced the sentiment.
The 30-share index plunged by 373.95 points or 1.53 per cent to 23,919.47. The gauge had lost 329.55 points in the previous session.
In a similar fashion, the NSE Nifty fell below 7,300-mark by losing 106.55 points or 1.44 per cent to 7,280.55.
All sectoral indices led by IT, teck, bank and metal trading in negative zone with fall up to 3.02 per cent.
Brokers said sentiment remained weak in the absence of any positive trigger amid sustained capital outflows by foreign funds.
Besides, there was a weak trend in other Asian markets following overnight losses in the US following as oil prices tanked again on fears of a deepening economic slowdown.
In the Asian region, Japan's Nikkei plunged 5.40 per cent in early trade, while China's Shanghai Composite index and Hong Kong's Hang Seng remained closed for a public holiday.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average ended 1.10 per cent lower in yesterday's trade.
- PM Inaugurates India's Longest Bridge in Assam
- Wreckage Of Missing Sukhoi Fighter Jet Found
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10