Sensex Opens Below 24,000-Level, Nifty Cracks 7,300-Mark
The benchmark BSE Sensex extended losses for a second straight day and cracked below 24,000-mark by tumbling almost 374 points in early deals on sustained capital outflows by foreign funds and selling by retail investors.
There were no surprises on the growth front as a government data yesterday showed that Indian economy grew 7.3 per cent in October-December quarter of 2015-16.
Deprecating rupee against the dollar also influenced the sentiment.
The 30-share index plunged by 373.95 points or 1.53 per cent to 23,919.47. The gauge had lost 329.55 points in the previous session.
In a similar fashion, the NSE Nifty fell below 7,300-mark by losing 106.55 points or 1.44 per cent to 7,280.55.
All sectoral indices led by IT, teck, bank and metal trading in negative zone with fall up to 3.02 per cent.
Brokers said sentiment remained weak in the absence of any positive trigger amid sustained capital outflows by foreign funds.
Besides, there was a weak trend in other Asian markets following overnight losses in the US following as oil prices tanked again on fears of a deepening economic slowdown.
In the Asian region, Japan's Nikkei plunged 5.40 per cent in early trade, while China's Shanghai Composite index and Hong Kong's Hang Seng remained closed for a public holiday.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average ended 1.10 per cent lower in yesterday's trade.
- Air India To Hire 80 Co-Pilots for Wide-Body Boeing Planes
- PIL in HC for Ban on 66 Pesticides
- Liquor Ban Will Unite Religions: Nitish Kumar
- Why Can't a Woman Live in Peace?: SC
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Why Can't a Woman Live in Peace in This Country? Asks An Exasperated Supreme Court
- Polling In Maujpur, Sarai Pipal Wards Postponed After Two Candidates Die
- PIL in High Court for Ban on 66 Pesticides Restricted World Over
- 'Every Religion Is Against Consumption of Liquor. All- India Prohibition Will Unite All Religions', Says Bihar CM Nitish Kumar
- Tamil Nadu CM Meets Farmers At Jantar Mantar, Advises Them To Call Off Protest
- Symbols Like Green Chilli, Scissors, AC Add Colour And Humour To Delhi Municipal Polls
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 'How Can You Make Aadhaar Mandatory When We Passed An Order To Make It Optional', SC Asks Centre
- Muslims Don't Vote For Us, But We Gave Them 'Proper Sanctity': Ravi Shankar Prasad
- New UP DGP Sulkhan Singh Takes Charge, Vows to Crush 'Goondagardi'
- UP DGP Javeed Ahmed Shunted Out to Head PAC, 12 IPS Officers Transferred