Sensex Opens Below 24,000-Level, Nifty Cracks 7,300-Mark
The benchmark BSE Sensex extended losses for a second straight day and cracked below 24,000-mark by tumbling almost 374 points in early deals on sustained capital outflows by foreign funds and selling by retail investors.
There were no surprises on the growth front as a government data yesterday showed that Indian economy grew 7.3 per cent in October-December quarter of 2015-16.
Deprecating rupee against the dollar also influenced the sentiment.
The 30-share index plunged by 373.95 points or 1.53 per cent to 23,919.47. The gauge had lost 329.55 points in the previous session.
In a similar fashion, the NSE Nifty fell below 7,300-mark by losing 106.55 points or 1.44 per cent to 7,280.55.
All sectoral indices led by IT, teck, bank and metal trading in negative zone with fall up to 3.02 per cent.
Brokers said sentiment remained weak in the absence of any positive trigger amid sustained capital outflows by foreign funds.
Besides, there was a weak trend in other Asian markets following overnight losses in the US following as oil prices tanked again on fears of a deepening economic slowdown.
In the Asian region, Japan's Nikkei plunged 5.40 per cent in early trade, while China's Shanghai Composite index and Hong Kong's Hang Seng remained closed for a public holiday.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average ended 1.10 per cent lower in yesterday's trade.
- Dhinakaran Case: Delhi Police Quiz Men On Cash Trail Trajectory
- Judge Who Granted Bail to Prajapati Suspended
- Male Chauvinism Can't Be: SC
- Global Press Freedom At 13-Year Low: Survey
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Judge Who Granted Bail to Former UP Minister Prajapati Suspended
- French Ship in Japan for Naval Drill as N Korea Tensions Rise
- Sharif's Decision to Sack Aide 'Incomplete' Action, Says Army
- Indian Techie's Death Penalty Upheld in US
- Turkey, US Can Turn Raqa Into 'Graveyard' for IS: Erdogan
- Kejriwal Has Record of Making Mistakes, Seeking Apology, Says Manoj Tiwari
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Groom Refuses To Marry After Seeing Only Vegetarian Dishes Being Served At Wedding
- 'Keep Phones On Recording Mode', 'Don't Fall Into BJP's Trap': Kejriwal Tells AAP Councillors
- Ready to Talk to Political Parties in Kashmir To Resolve Crisis But Not With Separatists: Govt Tells SC
- Out On Bail In Malegaon Blast Case, Sadhvi Pragya Says She's a Victim of Chidambaram's 'Saffron Terrorism' Bogey
- Prepare for 'Movement' If Exit Poll Results Come True, Says Kejriwal
- Sukhma Naxal Ambush Is An Act Of Cowardice, Says HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar
- Naxals Using Tribals As Human Shield, Govt to Review Anti-Naxal Strategy: Rajnath Singh
- 'Hafiz Saeed Not A Terrorist,' Pervez Musharraf Denies His Involvement in Mumbai Attacks