Sensex Opens Below 24,000-Level, Nifty Cracks 7,300-Mark
The benchmark BSE Sensex extended losses for a second straight day and cracked below 24,000-mark by tumbling almost 374 points in early deals on sustained capital outflows by foreign funds and selling by retail investors.
There were no surprises on the growth front as a government data yesterday showed that Indian economy grew 7.3 per cent in October-December quarter of 2015-16.
Deprecating rupee against the dollar also influenced the sentiment.
The 30-share index plunged by 373.95 points or 1.53 per cent to 23,919.47. The gauge had lost 329.55 points in the previous session.
In a similar fashion, the NSE Nifty fell below 7,300-mark by losing 106.55 points or 1.44 per cent to 7,280.55.
All sectoral indices led by IT, teck, bank and metal trading in negative zone with fall up to 3.02 per cent.
Brokers said sentiment remained weak in the absence of any positive trigger amid sustained capital outflows by foreign funds.
Besides, there was a weak trend in other Asian markets following overnight losses in the US following as oil prices tanked again on fears of a deepening economic slowdown.
In the Asian region, Japan's Nikkei plunged 5.40 per cent in early trade, while China's Shanghai Composite index and Hong Kong's Hang Seng remained closed for a public holiday.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average ended 1.10 per cent lower in yesterday's trade.
- Vote To Replace And Repeal Obamacare Cancelled
- Doctors in Maharashtra Call Off Strike
- Shivaji's Statue To Trump China's Tallest
- Law Doesn't Permit MP Ban: Govt
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal, 5 Others to Face Trial in Arun Jaitley Defamation Case
- Rajinikanth Cancels Sri Lanka Visit Following Protests From Pro-Tamil Outfits
- Kejriwal Cancels His Gujarat Visit in View of MCD Polls
- Ambedkar Statue Vandalised in Noida Village
- Lucknow Meat Sellers Go On Strike Protesting Crackdown On Slaughterhouses
- State Regulatory Commission Announces 55 % Increase In Power Tariff In Bihar
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Plea Against Kejriwal: Court Raps Police for Indecisiveness
- Yogi Adityanath Makes Surprise Visit To Police Station In Lucknow
- Manohar Parrikar Presents Budget In Goa, Sets Target Of 11% Economic Growth For 2017-18
- Emirates Airline Offers Laptop 'Handlers' For Passengers Hit By US Electronic Ban