Sensex, Nifty Up for First Time in Four Days, Auto, Realty Shine
Benchmarks today rose for the first time in four sessions with Sensex spurting 190.10 points to end at 25,519.24 and Nifty rising 57.40 points to close at 7,625.95 after auto stocks drove gains on earnings optimism while realty shares saw buying after Sebi cleared REIT norms.
Positive cues from Asian as well as European markets in line with weekend rally in the US markets on easing of tensions in Ukraine, too fuelled buying activity on the domestic bourses, brokers said.
The BSE S&P BSE 30-share Sensex resumed strong and was in positive terrain throughout the day, before ending at 25,519.24 -- a rise of 190.10 points or 0.75 per cent. In previous three days, it plunged 579 points or 2.23 per cent.
The wide-based 50-issue CNX Nifty also bounced back 57.40 points, or 0.76 per cent, to 7,625.95. It had stumbled by 178 points or 2.3 per cent in the previous three trading days.
Auto stocks were in the limelight and mainly led the rally. M&M was the top gainer from Sensex with a rise of 6.45 per cent on hopes of good tractor sales after monsoon rains. Tata Motors gained 3.33 per cent, Maruti Suzuki 1.77 per cent, Hero MotoCorp 0.80 per cent and Bajaj Auto 0.37 per cent.
Besides auto shares, HDFC, Infosys, L&T, Sesa Sterlite and Axis Bank too attracted good buying support.
In real estate sector, a significant number of shares ended in the green. Anant Raj, HDIL, Parsvnath, Puravankara, Unitech and DLF saw smart gains.
Industry and experts welcomed REIT and InvIT guidelines and said it would help attract investments to the tune of USD 15-20 billion (over Rs one lakh crore) through such trusts, from foreign as well as domestic investors.
"Sentiments remained upbeat as participants across the globe are expecting the situation in Ukraine and Middle East to stabilise. Shares of realty firms remained on buyers' list after Sebi approved the setting up and listing of Real Estate and Infrastructure Investment Trusts, commonly referred as REITs," said Jayant Manglik, President - Retail Distribution, Religare Securities.
Asian stocks closed higher tracking gains in US markets last Friday. Key benchmark indices in China, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan closed up between 0.41 per cent and 2.38 per cent.
European markets too were trading higher in their late morning deals after easing Ukraine crisis on reports that the Russian war planes have finished military exercises near Ukraine's border. The CAC was up by 0.96 per cent, the DAX by 1.30 per cent and the FTSE by 0.60 per cent.
Back home, Foreign Portfolio Investors sold shares worth a net Rs 503.74 crore last Friday, as per provisional data.
Jignesh Chaudhary, Head of Research, Veracity Broking Services said: "Local equities ended firm after three consecutive days of fall. Industrial Production data in June expected tomorrow will give further direction to market."
Overall, 18 out of 30 Sensex based scrips closed with gains while others finished with losses. Other major gainers included HDFC that rose 3.16 per cent, Sesa Sterlite 2.72 per cent, Infosys 2.67 per cent, Maruti Suzuki 1.77 per cent, Axis Bank 1.51 per cent and L&T 1.31 per cent.
Gail India dipped 4.34 per cent, Dr Reddy's Lab 2.19 per cent, NTPC 1.59 per cent and HUL 0.82 per cent, among others.
In S&P BSE sectoral indices, Auto firmed up 2.65 per cent, Realty 0.96 per cent, Capital Goods 0.88 per cent and IT 0.67 per cent.
Power declined 0.48 per cent and FMCG 0.41 per cent.
Market breadth turned positive as 1,728 stocks closed in the green while 1,205 finished in the red. Total turnover dipped sharply to Rs 1,986.11 crore from Rs 2,479.34 crore last Friday.
- Muslim Women Beaten Up by Gau Rakshaks in MP, Uproar in RS
- Curfew Reimposed in Parts of Kashmir
- T. M. Krishna, Bezwada Wilson Win Magsaysay Award
- Narsingh Replaced by Rana, Scandal Reaches Police
- Modi's Silence on Dalit Assault Devaluation of PM's Post: Cong
- Clinton Becomes First Woman Prez Nominee, Says Glass Ceiling Cracked
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Security Intensified Along Mizoram-Bangladesh Border
- BJP MP Seeks Central Intervention in UP
- Salman Acquittal: Key Witness in Poaching Case Says He Wasn't Summoned Deliberately
- WB Seeks GI Tag Only on Bengal Rasogolla, no Conflict With Odisha
- Car Bomb in Northern Syria Kills One, Wounds 50: Syrian TV
- Turkey Orders 47 Newspaper Journalists, Executives Detained
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED