Sardar Singh Suspended for Semi-Final Against NZ
In a huge jolt to Indian men hockey team's chances in the Commonwealth Games, captain Sardar Singh has been suspended for the semi-final match against New Zealand tomorrow following his second dangerous offence of the tournament.
Sardar, who has already been reprimanded for dangerous play against an Austrlian player, received a yellow card in yesterday's pool A match against South Africa -- which India won 5-2 -- and the jury originally slapped him a two-match suspension as it was his second offence of the tournament.
After an appeal by the Indian team management, the appeal jury reduced the suspension to one match.
The appeal jury held a hearing to consider Singh's latest disciplinary lapse, for which he was sent to the sinbin for 10 minutes.
Team coach MK Kaushik told PTI that it was an unintentional tackle and since he has already been reprimanded, Sardar received the supsension.
"It was an unintentional tackle for which Sardar got the yellow card. Since he has already been reprimanded, he recived a two-match supsnesion. But after we appealed it was reduced to one match," he said.
Hockey India Secretary General Narinder Batra said that the team was satisfied with the one-match suspension and it will not appeal further .
"Sardar committed an offence and we are satisfied with the one-match suspension. We are not going to appeal further," he said.
A two-match suspension would have ruled Sardar out of either the final or bronze-medal match also.
"He (Sardar) has already been reprimanded on Wednesday over an incident during India's match against Australia on Tuesday. Singh was deemed to have been guilty of 'inappropriate physical conduct" after Australia's Eddie Ockenden was hit in the face," the organisers said.
"Following a review by the appeal jury after India vs South Africa match yesterday, the jury decided to suspend Singh for two matches. That was later reduced to one game after India submitted a protest."
- Suicide Bomber Responsible For Manchester Blast
- Sukhoi Fighter Jet Goes Missing Near Tezpur in Assam
- Ex-Congress MP Naveen Jindal Summoned As Accused In Coal-Scam Case
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10