Saradha Scam: CBI Conducts Search at 56 Places
CBI today conducted searches at 56 places, including the premises of BJD MLA Pravata Tripathy and owner of a local newspaper in Odisha, in connection with the multi-crore Saradha chit fund scam.
Searches were carried out at as many as 54 places in Odisha and two in Mumbai by sleuths of the CBI which has claimed that they were looking for money trail in the case.
The CBI began their searches in the wee hours today at multiple locations including Bhubaneswar, Baleswar and Brahmapur, official sources said.
Besides the residential and office premises of Tripathi who was the Chief Whip of BJD in last state Assembly, the sleuths searched the houses and offices of chairman-cum managing director and other directors of Artha Tatwa Group and their relatives, they added.
Premises of Secretary of Odisha Cricket Association, Ashirbad Behra, proprietor of local newspaper Bikash Swain and former Congress youth leader Samdit Kuntia were also searched.
When contacted, Tripathy confirmed that CBI searches were being conducted at his premises but denied any involvement in the scam. "I don't have any connection with the chit-fund scam," he said.
CBI officials said that his ancestral house in Khurda and two other places including his official residences at Cuttak and Bhubaneswar were being searched by the sleuths in connection with the chit fund scam.
CBI has alleged that the MLA "was taking protection money from some of the accused," a charge denied by Tripathy. Tripathy claimed he was being targeted as he had attended some of the meetings of chit fund companies when they were operating as co-operative societies.
Behra, on being contacted, refused to comment on the searches being carried out by the CBI.
- Samsung Heir Indicted For Bribery, Embezzlement
- Uber Asks Top Executive To Go For Hiding Sexual Harassment Charge
- Ringing Bells Manager Arrested For Fraud
- 'Have Killed Iranians': Kansas Shooter Told Bartender
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- OECD Cuts India's Growth to 7%, Says India a Star Performer
- 'It's About The Freedom To Coexist Yet Disagree':Hundreds Participate In DU Protest March Against ABVP
- Shooter Jitu Rai Wins Bronze in ISSF World Cup
- FIR Registered Against Unknown Persons In Connection With The Case Of Kargil Martyr's Daughter
- RBI Sets Up Panel to Review Cyber Threats
- Reliance Jio's Tariff Aggressive, Unsustainable, Says Airtel's Sunil Mittal
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events