'Sanctions on Russia Has Nothing to Do With Snowden: US
The tough American sanctions on Russia is mainly because of its destabilising acts in Ukraine and has nothing to do with American whistleblower Edward Snowden, who was given a three-year Russian residential permit, the US said today.
"It is important for people to understand, and I think this has been made crystal clear to (the Russian) President (Vladimir) Putin, that the sanctions are related to the destabilising actions that Russia has taken in Ukraine and along the border with Ukraine," White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest told reporters.
"That includes the illegal annexation of Crimea, the deployment of some troops in a threatening way along the Russia-Ukraine border. It also includes, you know, the evidence that we've seen of attacks being launched from the Russian side of the border against Ukrainian military targets," he said in response to a question.
"We've also seen the transfer of heavy weapons from the Russian side across the border into Ukraine and into the hands of Russian- backed separatists. All of those actions are what led to the sanctions regime that's been put in place by the United States and our allies and partners all around the globe," he said.
"The Snowden situation is a different one," he argued.
"As it relates to Snowden, our position hasn't changed. He's accused of leaking classified information and faces felony charges here in the United States. That's why we believe that he should return to the United States as soon as possible, where he will be afforded full due process and protections that are allowed to U S citizens under the law," Earnest said.
The 31-year-old former US intelligence employee arrived in Moscow last year after leaking a trove of classified information that exposed the US government's foreign and domestic surveillance activities.
Russian authorities initially granted Snowden refuge and offered him a yearlong temporary asylum visa. Now Russia has provided him with a three-year residency permit that allows him to live and work in Russia and leave the country for up to three months a year.
- Former Punjab DGP K.P.S. Gill Dies At 82
- Wreckage Of Missing Sukhoi Fighter Jet Found
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10