Salaries Withheld for Non-Utilisation of MGNREGS Funds
Salaries of officials in Odisha's Koraput district have been withheld for their failure to utilise 60 per cent of the funds allocated under MGNREGS.
The district administration has decided to withhold salaries of junior engineers (JEs) and gram panchayat technical assistants (GPTAs) for their failure, Koraput district collector Yamini Sarangi said today.
"We are committed to creating more jobs in rural Koraput (utilising MGNREGS). This move (withholding of salaries) is an effort in that direction," Sarangi said. Implementation of the scheme was reviewed recently in 14 blocks.
"It was found that Koraput, Jeypore and Semiliguda blocks had utilised only 30 per cent of the MGNREGS funds. A directive has been issued to withhold salaries of JEs and GPTAs of these three blocks," she said.
Bandhugaon and Narayanpatna blocks, where development had taken a beating in the past few years due to Maoist violence, have utilised 55 per cent and 47 per cent of the funds respectively, she added.
Official sources said the district targets to spend Rs 95 crore by creating 33 lakh man days during this financial year. It has spent around Rs 20 crore till July-end and generated eight lakh man-days.
In April and May, the district had utilised around Rs 8 crore. But with constant monitoring, we could take it to Rs 12 crore in June-July. "We are hopeful of achieving the target by the financial year end," she added.
FROM OUTLOOKpunjab: migrant labourAbout half the Bihari migrant labour didn't take that train to Punjab in '08. It's a crisis....more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinion"Economics is haunted by more fallacies thanmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESCertain remarks by Rural Development Minister C Pmore from WIRES>>>
- Can't Allow Lives of Muslim Women to be Ruined by Triple Talaq: PM
- Militants Open Fire at Manipur CM's Helicopter, He Escapes Unhurt
- Women to be Granted Access to Haji Ali Shrine on Par With Men: Dargah Trust to SC
- Let Netaji Install a CM Who He Feels is Honest: Akhilesh
- BSF Jawan, Six-Yr-Old Boy Killed in Pak Firing in J&K
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Seven Killed, 94 Injured in Massive Explosion in China
- Centre 'Politicising' Triple Talaq Issue to Polarise Hindu Votes: Muslim Women Org
- CBI Shielding Tytler in 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots Case, Alleges AAP
- Aircel-Maxis Case: Kalanithi Denies CBI Claim of Pressurising Telecom Promoter
- China Warns US Against Meddling After Envoy's Arunachal Trip
- People Celebrated Choti Diwali on September 29 After Surgical Strikes: PM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'